Cutting hole in supporting wall.... HELP

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi there this is my first post so be gentle...! :)

I am wanting to cut a hole into my wall to put and aquarium in it and fill the gap behind the wall into the kitchen.

The wall in question I think it is supporting as it is a brick wall running upto the top of the house seperating the bedrooms above, it also has the stairs going up on it.

What I am wanting to do is cut a hole in it 49" long and 30" high, and leave or renew/remove the left over brick work below the hole.

The questions I have is on the lintel and choosing the right one? And correct installation of it, as my understanding is they should have 6"/150mm projectioneither side. With one of the sides of it going to be on the external wall this would need supporting too for cutting away space for the lintel? The wall itself is a single skin. And the boiler would be moved to another area in the kitchen.

I am a bricklayer but not experienced in this area as, as soon as I became qualified the trade died so ive only really done basic building since ie ponds, garden walls ect as it keeps me going. I have changed/installed a lintel before when I worked for a local company. Luckily My neighbours profession is actually being paid big bucks for going around and installing acros on big building jobs so he could show me how, even though it couldnt get any easier than it is but a helping, experienced hand is always best to avoid mistakes being made!!

Wall in question from the living room
A3AF39C2-ADCA-4EAA-88B0-567D0E2D417D-955-0000007741DC7875.jpg

Kitchen side of things
7A4B1A8E-31B3-4AAF-9B2A-535C11896D8D-955-000000773D27353B.jpg

89EE98BD-50C8-4A56-B51F-544E8D8D3876-955-0000007733984A8F.jpg

Stairs
DA469581-6B6F-4220-B10F-2C9D014BAF94-955-0000007738BAB153.jpg

Sponsored Links
I think you have answered your own question ,I would get your neighbour in and ask him for his advice. ;) Sounds like the right man for the job...

Haha guess I did answer my own questions! :)

Anyone have any idea what lintel would be appropriate for a gap the span or 55 inch? Baring in mind one end will be into the external wall..

Thanks

I know as much as its going to have to be 67 inch long... Just there's that many lintels and with it being load bearing I'm not sure what to order.

Jono

Sponsored Links
You will be ok with a 100mm x 150mm pre-stressed concrete lintel with a bearing of 150mm either side the 100mm edge should be bedded on your brick work. if you are supporting the brickwork above with "strongboys" fitted to your acrows then I would fill the gap above with a "dry-pack" mix. Which consists of a mix of sand,lime,and cement. ratios being 7-4-2 ( i think that was the ratio I used when I had to repack cracks that had appeared between a concrete ceiling and the walls...Push it in with a thin off cut of wood,but put something the other side of the gap first so it doesn't all come out, then once you have packed one side really tight then do the other side the same. The dry-pack mix should be a little bit dryer than a floor mix (which contains just enough water to hold the mix together when you squeeze it in your hand),the reason for this dry pack mix is so theat it doesn't shrink at all when it drys out...Hope this helps ;)

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back