Cutting / Joining worktop

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Doing up a flat, changing out the kitchen and will be into replacing the worktops this week. The flat is on 11th floor and realistically the only way to get up is in the lift. Can get 2.3m lengths in the lift, the longest run in the kitchen is 3.8m so 2 bits that will require joining in the middle. I have a circular saw with a chunky blade on it, what is best way to cut, have tried a hand saw before but seem to get some deflection as the saw goes through, also whats best way to join ?

Sponsored Links
Rough cut within 5-10mm of the required cut line, clamp a batten across the worktop, use a router to trim to the exact dimension required.
Repeat with the other piece. Cut slots into the underside of both pieces for connector bolts (same type as used for joints at corners), place worktops in position with bolts, put a solid line of colorfill in the joint, tighten bolts fully ensuring worktops are properly aligned, remove excess colorfill.

Before deciding on the position of the joint line work out your dimensions for the locations of sink, hob cut-outs and any other device or appliance that should be away from any joint.
(After routing as above) seal the raw edges with, say, Evo-stik contact adhesive and (as above) a line of Colorfill.
All cut-out and end edges should be sealed, so should tap hole drillings - dont risk the W/T being blown by seeping water.

I carried 4mtrs up the stairs, but then only 6th floor.Get some help?

Sponsored Links
Thanks, i popped round a retired chippy friend of mine and he said exactly that as described, in fact he will do it as he knows how to use a router. I would carry them up but there are some bends / corners that make it just impossible.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back