Cutting Melamine chipboard

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
What's the best way to get the cleanest cut on MFC?

I have hand saws, which to be honest I'm not that accurate with, a jigsaw, circular saw.

Is there anything I can do to prevent chipping? Will masking the cut line help?

Sponsored Links
Masking the cut line will help a bit, but with a circular saw you need to ensure that the teeth project out of the underside buy only about 4 or 5mm. As the other poster said more teeth = better cut, also sharper blade. Not sure if I'd go to the extent of buying a Trend TCG blade, though. I'd be thinking more in terms of trying to make all may cuts from the same side and trying to ensure that I had the factory edges near the outsides where possible and the self-cut one at the back, insides, etc where they are less noticeable

if the relevant face is pre-scored with a Stanley knife, does it help?

Sponsored Links
if the relevant face is pre-scored with a Stanley knife, does it help?
That would be the top face and you'd need to position the edge of the saw blade so that it cuts exactly along that line. This is not easy to achieve. If you don't then it makes just as much mess as not doing it. TBH a circular saw with a fine tooth saw blade used on a freshly made guide works better.

freshly made guide works better.

Definitely this. I made mine out of 2 strips of MDF.

6mm for the sled part that the base plate of the saw sits on and 12mm for the fence. Glue and screw them together then run your saw through the sled part to make the cut line. Use the factory edge as the guide side.

Make the fence part wide enough so your saw body will clear through even with clamps on.

freshly made guide works better.

Definitely this. I made mine out of 2 strips of MDF.

6mm for the sled part that the base plate of the saw sits on and 12mm for the fence. Glue and screw them together then run your saw through the sled part to make the cut line. Use the factory edge as the guide side.

Make the fence part wide enough so your saw body will clear through even with clamps on.

I'm a bit confused about what you're saying.

Is it like on this site? http://www.wwgoa.com/shop-made-circular-saw-guide-cheap-easy-awesome/

If so, do I need to measure the distance between the fence and the blade before attaching the two pieces together, or do I just butt the saw plate up against the fence and let the saw do cut it to the right length?

Is it like on this site? http://www.wwgoa.com/shop-made-circular-saw-guide-cheap-easy-awesome/

If so, do I need to measure the distance between the fence and the blade before attaching the two pieces together, or do I just butt the saw plate up against the fence and let the saw do cut it to the right length?
That link is bob-on

The "shelf" on the lower part needs to be about the same width as the base of your saw, but it isn't exact because the first cut you make will make it accurate. Your first cut with it is a trimming cut (i.e. it is to trim the jig, NOT cut material). Once you've trimmed your jig the edge becones your saw line. Here's an alternative link

Above: Trimming the guide

That link is bob-on

The "shelf" on the lower part needs to be about the same width as the base of your saw, but it isn't exact because the first cut you make will make it accurate. Your first cut with it is a trimming cut (i.e. it is to trim the jig, NOT cut material). Once you've trimmed your jig the edge becones your saw line. Here's an alternative link

Above: Trimming the guide

That's great, thanks. And presumably because the jig is protecting the piece you're keeping, the downward pressure will help to prevent chipping of the melamine to a minimum?

Can reduce it, yes. But needs to be done in conjunction with a fine tooth (high tooth count) blade. Masking tape along the cut line can help as well

Cut the board with a Circular saw from the back it will only chip out on the top
Think about how the saw teeth hit the board. If they cut into it there should be no chips but when the teeth leave the board the teeth are cutting away from the face then you get chips.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back