cutting skirting board

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
:confused: i have 3/4 ins. thick wooden skirting boards and am planing to lay laminate flooring.i do not want to remove the skirting but want to slide the laminate under the skirting. would it be worth buying a sonic crafter to cut the skirting?approx. 100mts to cut.----any advice welcomed.--thanks mamba

Sponsored Links
Whilst they are good for trimming door frames, I think cutting 100m of skirting is a bit optimstic. From what I have seen, they don't always give a neat cut over a long length.

You will also be left with the problem of getting your final boards under the skirting at the opposite side of the room. The first boards will slide neatly under but you need enough room to hold the last ones at the correct angle to slot them in and this will usually stop them from fitting under the skirting.

The best way is to remove the skirting or go with the beading option. :(

do not even think about doing it with skirting in position
it is very very difficult if you know what your doing ;)

sharp knife along the top off the skirting remove skirting undercut the door frames and architraves

Sponsored Links
you coulld do it- if you know what you're doing or someone else does....and i do lol
basically you can only do what you intend if you're happy to take off the click lip with a block plane and glue in the last piece of each row ;)
taking most of the lip off the board you're connecting to enables you to tap the last peice of the next row in. it will need a wee bit of glue to hold in place though. there are videos showing how to do it on you tibe etc.

as for cutting under the skirting- not done that so wont comment- though have heard of it being done with mixed success.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back