Cutting slot for mortice lock

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Replacing 6" mortice lock but hole slightly too small for new one.
Does the panel recommend drilling, chiselling or both, and if chiselling what should I be Googling for to get one long enough? Basic chisels are too short and fancy longer ones seem to be at antique prices.
Sorry if this sounds a bit 'duh' but it's all proving more tedious than I thought.

Sponsored Links
Chiselling is the way to go . As you say the longer chisels are expensive and probably not worth the expense if you aren't going to need one again. Some time ago I needed a long chisel and not having one at the time sharpened up a metal gutter bracket. Obviously it didn't stay sharp anywhere near as long but as I was cutting out a slot in an old oak beam it did the job surprisingly well.
Edit
Just rereading your post , if the hole is too shallow then a drill will be needed as well.

Chisel is all that's needed, you can deepen the hole with chisel as well as widen, just takes a little longer.
You can also just use a long bit and ream the hole if you are careful.

Sponsored Links
Ideal tool is a swan neck chisel , says I smugly knowing there's one in the workshop. Old one that I picked up at a market for around £15 . Not something that gets carried around that much but useful for when I know I'm going to need one.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back