Cutting wall plate?

Yes, the extended roof will finish with a hip, the roof will be the same shape just 3mtrs wider.

All the work I've done and am asking advice on so far is over the original house. I'm putting in the floor for the loft conversion so I can finish off the 1st floor bedrooms and move in. The extension to the roof will be done later in the year.

I've swapped the old 3x2 ceiling joists that were nailed to the wall plate with 8x2's into the steel and 400mm sections of the 3x2 fixed to the wall plate and the timber in the steel. The stubs are left over from me cutting the old ones out. I could knock them off the wall plate with a slap upwards but they were too big to get out of the house so I cut them instead.

The dormer is going to be a future addition to the loft room.

I would not recommend the technician, if I could go back I wouldn't use him.

The pointing on the hole back of the house is in very poor condition with various patched areas. It's been empty for 10 years and not looked after for much longer than that.

Do you think there is an alternative to cutting the wall plate for me to get the front RSJ in place?

Sponsored Links
I'm finding it difficult trying to visualise whats been done with whats proposed.
Thank you for the photos they were good but I think that I'll pass on any further advice, beyond saying that enlarging on your original question, which I understood for what it was, was for getting a context before giving an opinion.

I still think you should get a SE on site or call in the BCO for an opinion - BCO's have a fund of knowledge beyond most jobbing builders.

not having a go here, but you appear to be exhausting your knowledge base.
You are planning a future full conversion and reconstruction of your roof. I would be speaking to a SE, BC will be wanting calcs for what you're doing anyway
As Vinn says it's hard for us here to exactly envisage the final outcome and hence what is needed.

But in answer to your actual question, what you are doing cutting the wall plates as you have isn't a problem

Sponsored Links
I get what your saying and appreciate the advice.

I'll get building control to pay me a visit, see what I've done and also if they can offer any advice going forwards.

I have the calculations for the beams and also certificates showing their origin and exact spec, I calculated them myself with the online calculator. I found that a good service and the owner was very helpful explaining point loads and how to add them to the calculations.

I'll update after they have visited.

If you have taken out all the ceilings, what is stopping the roof from spreading?:eek:

At the back there is a new floor tied onto the wall plate.

At the front there is the purlin, the hip and the strapped wall plate until I do the floor.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back