Cylinder stat that works the opposite way to the standard ones

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Does anyone know if I can buy such a thing as a Cylinder stat that works the opposite way to the standard ones?
I have a very basic heating system off a solid fuel back boiler plus an electric immersion in tank for back up. When the pump is off the water only heats up. When we turn on the pump the radiators also get warm. For years we have operated this manually, turning it on when needed and off before bed. It occurred to me that if we could have a thermostatic switch that sensed when the tank was up to temperature and turned the pump on then turned it off when the temperature dropped below a certain temperature, we could go to bed knowing the pump would go off in the night.
Does such a thing exist? Or can anyone suggest any other way to do it?

Sponsored Links
Almost all cylinder stats have this option, just wire to common and normally closed, instead of the usual common and normally open. For most stats this is terminals C and 2

Sponsored Links
Or can anyone suggest any other way to do it?

The usual set up (and best) on a gravity system is hi-lo stats sensing the flow and return temperatures. When the return rises high enough the pump is switched on and excess heat goes to the radiators.
An injector T (two pipe system) will be fitted which aids flow around the cylinder coil.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back