dado rail mark left on the wall after removal

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi
Just about to remove a dado rail from the wall of a room!
I know it will leave a mark all around the room (no paint).
Any ideas on smoothing it or bluffing it in or should I just fill the nail holes and paint it :?:

Sponsored Links
Hi.
I did this about 5 years ago.
Cos' the rail is screwed hard on the plaster wall, it tends to leave a compression mark.
All i did was to skim with finish plaster, feather the edges and use lots of water when the plaster is getting towards drying and draw of the "fat" of the applied plaster. If you can't get a perfect finish, lightly sand the area with fine sand paper when totally dry.
It takes time but will do it no probs.
Good luck.

Why don't you paint the rails area in two different shades to give it 3D effect. it gives you that rail effect on a smooth finish.

Sponsored Links
if there is a ridge of paint or filler, a sharp scraper will take it off faster than sandpaper. You can then use sandpaper and fine-surface filler to smooth it off. Sponge off all the dust before using your filler or it will not stick well. Use a broad filling knife and press it well flat to avoid high spots that you would have to scrape off later. Give the wall a coat of matt white emulsion when you think you have finished, it will highlight any remaining flaws. Use a mist coat first on the new filler or bare plaster.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back