Dado Rail

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
After sanding, what product is best to fill dents etc in things like dado rails?

Only ever used powder filler for walls etc but i'm guessing wood filler is a better option.

Could someone point me in the right direction. Nothing ridiculously expensive though.

Cheers :D

Sponsored Links
Firstly is the woodwork painted, if not you should prime it before filling. Filling small indents in woodwork can prove difficult with regard to the filler not forming a good bond.

Here are some choices, Red Devil Onetime, Ronseal High Performance, and although more difficult to sand, car body filler is very effective for wood.

Dec.

Cheers Dec,

They previously emulsioned. Was thinking white water based satinwood (to avoid yellowing) as top coat.

I've got some wood on the chimney breast that I want the same as the dado. Seems stained and doesn't feel varnished.

Here's pic.

View media item 25823

Krispy.

Difficult to ascertain from that pic what it is, yet it does look like a stain. Lightly abrade with 240 grit taking care not to break through the existing surface.

Satinwood would be ok, but it will take a few coats.

Dec.

Sponsored Links
Cheers Dec, there are 1 or 2 knots in there too. Would a thin coat of oil based undercoat first be advisable?

Cheers

Krispy.

An oil based u/c wont stop resinous bleed, the stain or indeed varnish contains shellac so in itself a natural knotting application.

Thats why when you lightly abrade you should not break through the existing coating. You can if you wish apply an undercoat and then your satinwood, dont really see a problem with that myself.

Dec.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back