damage to septic tank soakaway

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
We have an old square brick built septic tank which has started overflowing (phew!) too regularly. Had it drained twice in last few weeks and jetted. Coy said there appeared to be blockage in soakaway, but should clear. Evidently it didn't and overflowing has begun again!

I have dug down and traced the clay pipe about 3 yds from tank and discovered cracked pipe which from which gallons gushed (phew again!). I suspect pipes are blocked further down.

Local Authority said over phone a replacement and further jetting may be sufficient, or will need to dig out all clay pipes and relay with perforated plastic. Large garden. it seems the single length (no herringbone) is about 50 yds They suggested this could be DIY but hard work. What does anyone think please?

Sponsored Links
i'd start from scratch. rebuild the lot. A bloke i know who does a lot of them reckons they need it after 30 + years. re laying the pipes is the the easier bit (1/200 fall i think)

If the L/A are happy with what`s there...........hire a mini digger and pull that trench ;) Glassfibre septic tanks are known in the trade as onions.for obvious reasons..so ask @ the builders merchants for £

Septic-tank.jpg

i see what you mean, wouldn't want to eat a whole one though

Sponsored Links
:LOL: :LOL: That`a posh one like a Bishop`s orb :eek: with all those bands and a pad to sit on....high tech one then ;)

It is possible to add a small septic tank conversion unit onto the end of your septic tank to turn the whole thing into a sewage treatment plant. You can then discharge directly to a ditch or stream and this will end up costing less than a new soakaway.

50 metres is not much for a soakaway and you would have to have a percolation test Vp of 25 or less to get away with this little pipework.

In any case, BS 6297 2007 regulations state that the MAXIMUM length of pipework allowed in one run is only 30 metres, so you will need to split the flow into at least 2 pipe runs.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back