Damaged ceiling during tank install

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
While not a plumbing question really, I wanted some opinions on how to reach a satisfactory outcome with this situation.
Plumber installed a new tank which sits above the kitchen ceiling. I had to construct the new deck for it and the positioning he wanted meant that the cold water feed needed to be re-routed under some other pipe work. It could have stayed on top but the plastic joint would have been pressed had against the deck and I asked him to move it, which he did.
Fast forward 2 days and we now have a large brown stain on the ceiling.
I have checked for Leaks as best I can due to limited pipe access and they all appear dry. Stain is also drying so I can only assume this is from water that came from the cold feed when he moved it.
He did tell me some water came out, about a cup full he said although it looks like he didn't place any towel under it or it missed! He actually sounded relieved when I asked if this was possible because a lot of pipe work is no longer accessible due to the routing he has chosen to take under the deck.
I have not paid the final invoice yet, Only the cost of parts, but in my mind, he should stump up for the damage caused?
Am I being unreasonable here as the entire ceiling will now require re-painting.

Sponsored Links
How big is this stain really?

Why does all the ceiling need to be decorated?

Now to follow your argument that plumber should pay large amounts then he should have added say half of the large bill to his quotation. Would you have been happy with that?

Obviously he should take reasonable care. But in changing a 90 litre tank, to only spill 1/2 a litre or less sounds pretty lucky. Usually such a small amount will be absorbed by the ceiling material without any mark.

Tony

to only spill 1/2 a litre or less sounds pretty lucky. Usually such a small amount will be absorbed by the ceiling material without any mark.

Tony

Thats the information the plumber volunteered to the op

That is all the information that we have.

Do you have any more?

Or were you there?

Sponsored Links
You are being unreasonable. Doesn't matter how careful you are water is a **** to catch. His only fault was not explaining to you the risks properly.

If repainting a small area would be so noticeable....
IMO the ceiling is fookin minging and needs painting any way !!!
How big is the room and when was it last decorated ?

That is all the information that we have.

Do you have any more?

Or were you there?

I'm sort of agreeing with you, that much water would not cause much damage yet the customer says there is that much damage ergo plumber probably telling a small fib.
Of course you cant complete a job without offering to make good any property damage incurred while carrying it out unless you explained the risk and got a disclaimer at the start.

I spent 2 hours this morning repairing unavoidable damage to decorations after a part rewire!

Why not discuss with your plumber and come to some agreement. Surely it cant't be that damaged as to require a whole ceiling repaint. Let it dry out thoroughly then repaint the affected area.

I spent 2 hours this morning repairing unavoidable damage to decorations after a part rewire!
If it was unavoidable, then it was predictable, so did you tell the customer before you started? In which case it would have been budgeted an charged for?

No mention of possible damage was mentioned prior to starting work. I would have no issue in repairing the area (around 18" square) that is stained as long as the paint matched and was not visible when dry. If there is one thing I hate, it is a patchy painted ceiling.
We only moved in last October and the previous owners tell me it was redecorated in 2014. Unfortunately they used a tradesman and are unable to supply details which would be handy as they could tell me what paint was used.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back