Damn how the hell are clothes this cheap in UK?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I know fast fashion and all that, but seriously sometimes I just wonder at the prices..
I rarely ever buy new clothes and just buy 1-2 pieces and wear them out till they fall apart, well it was that time again when I needed some new pants as the old ones were worn out and had a look online as didn't wanted to waste a few hours driving to primark.
and after some cashback I will get from quidco , 2 pairs of jeans + a nice jacket cost me just £22 delivered...

7ed.png

Sponsored Links
Cheap? The two pairs of Diesel skinnys I bought form Selfridges in the summer left me with little change from £300 quid.

Depends what you want to wear I suppose.

Sponsored Links
But how long will they last in normal use ?.

Some of my shirts are more than15 years old and are still smart enough for work wear.

Some of the low price clothes I bought last year ( cheaper than washing the ones I had ) only lasted a few wears before falling apart. ( I ran out of clothes when a visit was extended by several days )

Designer goods carry a 90% mug tax.
So do branded ones. Years ago as a student, I worked in 2 factories in the summer months. In one, a bakery, I was on a bread slicing machine where a simple changeover of wrapping paper meant that the bread was sold at a different prices in the retail outlets - almost 25% difference between cheapest and dearest shops. In the other factory, a jeans maker, a simple change of label meant a huge difference in the selling price. In a tv interview a few years back, the talk turned to designer clothing and when discussing their jeans one guy said that his cost around £20, but that his friend who had the same jeans with a different label, paid around £150. The guy responded in much the same way as in reply#2. "Depends on what you want wear..... (.....and to be seen wearing)" was his near enough his response.

My dad worked in a cheese factory for a while. You know that fancy mature cheese you get in ye olde ceramic pots? It starts off as all the generic cheddar cheese that is returned by the supermarket when it exceeds the sell-by date. They scrape it into the pots and re-sell it with a new sell-by date!

Similarly, most household cleaning products are bottled in the same plant, whether Fairy or Tesco own brand. All the washing up liquid comes from the same vat, they just dilute it more for the own-brand stuff.

Last edited:
I know fast fashion and all that, but seriously sometimes I just wonder at the prices..
I rarely ever buy new clothes and just buy 1-2 pieces and wear them out till they fall apart, well it was that time again when I needed some new pants as the old ones were worn out and had a look online as didn't wanted to waste a few hours driving to primark.
and after some cashback I will get from quidco , 2 pairs of jeans + a nice jacket cost me just £22 delivered...

7ed.png

They are manufactured in countries with no minimim wage, no workers rights, no health and safety. If 300 people die in a factory fire they just re-locate and hire another 300 people to work in the same conditions. Enjoy them mate.

They are manufactured in countries with no minimim wage, no workers rights, no health and safety. If 300 people die in a factory fire they just re-locate and hire another 300 people to work in the same conditions. Enjoy them mate.

thanks, I'm kinda aware of the dark side but still.. :(

I don't really care about the branding at all,however if a good brand item costs the same as non brand I guess I will get the branded one if that suggests it has better quality.
Btw this is my shopping procedure for clothes-
1-Do I like it?
2-does the material looks good
3-does the worksmanship looks good
4-can I tear apart some seams with my hands? and do they look ok?
5- off to changing rooms to try them on and do some squats/other workout to see if anything looks worrying in quality and is about to tear up.
6 -final check of quality of the item,check out the quality of zippers/quality of how buttons are attached
7 -Thinking again if I even need the time
8- puts in a basket to look for another item
9- after I get some more items, I check everything again do I need all of them and put more than half back.
10- walk out of store with just 1 or 2 item that has been the best value and best quality,
- shopping done for half a year!

, Shopping procedure for my wife however
-1. Goes in to store, takes full cart of whatever she wants
-2. Goes to pay for it
comes homes and never even wear once 70% of the stuff bought
-Shopping done for 2weeks
-repeat

Last edited:
1-Do I like it?
5- off to changing rooms to try them on and do some squats/other workout to see if anything looks worrying in quality and is about to tear up.
6 -final check of quality of the item,check out the quality of zippers/quality of how buttons are attached
9- after I get some more items, I check everything again do I need all of them and put more than half back.
10- walk out of store with just 1 or 2 item that has been the best value and best quality,

BTW, this is a man's procedure for buying clothes:
1- Is it clothes?
2- Buy it
3- Leave

thanks, I'm kinda aware of the dark side but still.. :(

I don't really care about the branding at all,however if a good brand item costs the same as non brand I guess I will get the branded one if that suggests it has better quality.
1-Do I like it?

, Shopping procedure for my wife however
-1. Goes in to store, takes full cart of whatever she wants
-2. Goes to pay for it
comes homes and never even wear once 70% of the stuff bought
-Shopping done for 2weeks
-repeat

That's a long list mate... do you happen to like polo neck jumpers and musical theatre ?

That's a long list mate... do you happen to like polo neck jumpers and musical theatre ?
nah I'm just a cheap fuker who doesn't likes buying clothes, so I spend some time once to check if they are good and will last me.

Yes, but if the workers weren't working in the factories they'd be earning even less (or nothing) in agriculture. People aren't forced to work in the factories but it is the best choice they have.

Sponsored Links
Back