Damn incurable damp patch!

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
We moved into a house a couple of years back. It’s fair to say it was a 'doer upper' suffering from a few years of neglect.

In an upstairs back bedroom is a damp patch on a wall that appeared whenever it rained with water running down the wall from underneath coving (the room is under a flat roof).

The flat roof looked to be at the end of its life so we replaced it via a locally known competent roofer.

Damp patch remained and water continued to run down walls when it rained.

The roofer suggested it could be the parapet wall causing the issues so we capped that with lead.

Damp patch continued to appear with heavy rain but no more running water! Phew. One problem solved.

Attention turned to the render on the house. It was cracking in various places so had it all hacked off and replaced with sand and cement render and painted.

Still the damp patch appears whenever it rains!

So that’s the roof replaced, the parapet wall capped and new render applied. The wall does face the predominant wind direction and is single skin breeze block so should I just accept that this will always be an issue or is there something else I can try? The patch is no bigger than a small plate and occurs in one place only?? This one is bugging me!

As ever … all and any help gratefully received

Sponsored Links
Parapet wall would be my guess, very difficult to seal ,rains running down inside wall.Any pics ?

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back