Damp advice please

Update

Took up a small board at the front of the room near the bay window and there were water droplets and the joists are pretty wet.

Cleared all airbricks fully and chopped out some brickwork to create airflow. I am replacing a couple of the airbricks with some 9" ones at the back as well.

At the front on the bay I am going to clean out bricks and repoint as well to make sure there is no ingress that way as it is only single brick on the bay wall.

Water board are checking the pipework on Monday as well so hopefully starting to get somewhere with the problem.

Pipework under floor is all getting lagged this weekend as well so hopefully all these little steps will help remedy the problem.

Sponsored Links
Wed 3:00pm the third pic shows what looks like a lead pipe looping thro the honeycombed wall? Could this be your water main?

Where are your external and interior stop-cocks located?

Why do you suppose that you share a common water supply with the neighbour across the alleyway?

The debris piled against brickwork merely needs pulling away, and all cloth and wood removed.

Any joists tails bearing in the bay will be rotted.

Where are your external and interior stop-cocks located?
First external stop cock is at the entry point to the alley and turns off ours and our neighbours water supply. The second is at the back of the property just after the alley (This turns just our house off and the neighbour has one in their garden in the same place).

Why do you suppose that you share a common water supply with the neighbour across the alleyway?

The stopcock at the entry point to the alleyway turns off both properties. And pipes as far as we are aware continue under the concrete in the alley.

The picture below shows the alley in question that leads to our back gardens and the position of the first stopcock. (This was before we bought the house, hence the for sale sign)

The debris piled against brickwork merely needs pulling away, and all cloth and wood removed.
Started on that already will be fully cleared by weekend.

Any joists tails bearing in the bay will be rotted.
Yes I have someone coming to replace these, again it is only at the alley side were they have been affected.

the third pic shows what looks like a lead pipe looping thro the honeycombed wall? Could this be your water main?
It goes to under the stairs (Gas/Electric meters) and doesn't meet back up with the stop cock at the back of the house. Gas comes in from the front door/hallway so I presume it is the electricty?

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back