Damp and mould

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi all.
Ive had an ongoing damp probelm for a few years now and this winter seems to be the worst yet.
I have dehimidifiers on most window sills, have the windows open as often as I can and have numerouse air bricks round the house. I also have a elctric dehumidifier that runs during the day.
The lofts are dry so water isnt coming in thru the roof.
The 1st floor is where I get the damp issues.
I also get mould. Everywhere. In the ground floor it is under the sofas, on speakers, shoes on the shoe rack. Upstairs its on the skirting boards in the master bedroom, on fabrics in the cupboards, and on some walls.
Now the ground floor is cavity and has been filled (pre us living here) and the top isnt cavity.
Condensation is on the upstairs skirting boards constantly in the main bedroom.
Here's a pic of the corner. The rest of the skirting behind the bed is the same but I cant get a good picture.

https://fbcdn-sphotos-e-a.akamaihd.net/hphotos-ak-ash3/526208_10151288738240365_629858886_n.jpg

Any ideas whats causing this? I wonder if the cavity shouldnt have been filled.

Sponsored Links
Hard to tell from the internet, you probably need a pro to come round and have a look.

If the cavity has been filled incorrectly or if there is rubble in the cavity, this can bridge the gap between the inner and outer skin, and let damp travel between the two.

If it is on both floors, then it isn't rising from the ground.

You really need to ascertain how this damp is getting there.

Is it condensation? Is it water travelling through the cavity.

It sounds like condensation.

What age of a house? How is the top floor not cavity construction?

Sounds like a condensation issue. Call a local chartered building surveyor, should not cost that much when you consider the damage being done to your contents.

Does anyone drape wet washing around the house?

Sponsored Links
Hi.
The house is circa 100 years old. Its a strange construction....the ground floor is cavity and top deffinatly isnt. You can even see the step in on the outside of the house.
I wouldnt know if there is rubble between. I guess its too late to find out now its filled?
We rarely hang clothes to dry....occasionally the odd posh, hand wash only top of the wife's.

I think it looks like Ill have to geta surveyour out. I just dread the cost!

My guess would be that the house had some kind of slate hanging or timber cladding outside, hence the step in.

I'm a surveyor myself and I would be looking about £100-200 to come have a look and give advice if you lived near me so shop around.

Good luck

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back