Damp at edge of floor?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
My front room (Victorian house) has a concrete floor with what looks like plastic dpm underneath. I've got some problems with penetrating damp in the walls so am going to use sulphate resisting backing render with aquastop tanking ontop.

My question is about the floor edge. I have some fillet seal (wykamol) that i was going to use but looking at diagrams, normal practice is to do this before the floor goes in. Any recommendations on this? Also the edges of the floor in a few places appear to have slightly damp patches near the wall joint is there anything i can use to seal these areas?
Thanks for any help.

Sponsored Links
Have you diagnosed the actual cause of the damp at the floor edge? Is it coming up, across, or condensation?

Thanks for the reply. It looks like it's coming up although it's possible some is across from the wall as the adjoining wall is below ground level. I've installed an electro osmosis system but this wont be switched on for some time until i finished a couple more rooms. My plan is to keep the damp out with tanking but use the osmosis system to help prevent moisture build up in the wall.

ideally this is what would be done:
according to the wykamol product guide.

My problem is that putting a new floor in isn't an option so i'm stuck without a 'fillet' and trying to put something in. so a couple of questions...
1. My plan is to use 'fillet seal' around the edges before putting backing render and aquastop tanking on. Hopefully this will be provide enough protection?

2. However there is still one wall that appears to have been tanked with cement but there is still a small amount damp along the floor/wall join, so i'm wondering what i can do about this?

Thanks for all the help[/img]

Sponsored Links
Good luck with the osmosis system. You'll need it

A fillet can be formed by chopping up some of the perimeter screed if need be, and taking the render down to it

However, the fillet is not in itself the answer, as damp will work its way around it. Likewise for your wall seal.

You need a continuous unbroken barrier, and not a fillet - if you have a barrier in the floor and wall then its just a case of sealing them at floor level

The floor/wall junction is a very cold place, and you may well be getting condensation ponding and not structural dampness. If so, a cold render wont help, nor will a floor without a thermal break at the edge

thanks for the help so far. The floor has a plastic dpm underneath and the edges can be seen at the edge of the floor. The wall has nothing so i really need to find a way to seal the 2 together?

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back