Damp at the bottom edges of inside of garage

X

xyon81

We've just moved into a place and noticed that the garage has a few issues with damp now its winter...

The bottom edge of the front half of the garage (towards the lower end of the slope) seems to have water coming up through it. According to the neighbours when it was built it was done without damp coursing.

Is there any way to fix this without tearing it down and starting again?

The garage appears to be two bricks high above the ground (another solution i read was to dig a trench but it has slabs around the edge).. I've attached pictures incase theres anything you can spot.

Just a quick edit to say this isn't attached to the house at all
Thanks
garage 2.jpg

garage 1.jpg

Sponsored Links
Ground water levels I dare say. Is any part of the ground surrounding the garage higher than the garage floor?

You could dig a drainage channel around the garage and fill it in with stone chips.. right now the water is comi group your garage because that's the easiest way for it to get where it wants to go. If you provide an easier way, it'll take that instead

Ground water levels I dare say. Is any part of the ground surrounding the garage higher than the garage floor?

You could dig a drainage channel around the garage and fill it in with stone chips.. right now the water is comi group your garage because that's the easiest way for it to get where it wants to go. If you provide an easier way, it'll take that instead

Ground water level would make sense, the garage is built at a higher level than the ground but i can have a look around the outside and see if the front end is difference.

The natural gap between the wall and the slabs is around 10-15mm around the accessible edges (Where the hose pipe is currently resting in those pictures).
Will that be a big enough channel to take the excess water away? or is it better to pull up the slabs where possible and replace with smaller slabs\potentially use gravel under it all.

Current plan of attack

Dig out the 10mm channel on the 3 edges I can get to and try and give it a slight gradient where possible
Fill with gravel
Paint garage floor with sealant stuff and possibly refill in some of the gaps where the edges are coming away

Does that sound like it would work?
Thanks

Were the garage panels bedded down on any sort of compound, do you know? Water easily courses down the sides, then runs underneath.
John :)

Sponsored Links
Were the garage panels bedded down on any sort of compound, do you know? Water easily courses down the sides, then runs underneath.
John :)

No idea as we didn't install it. All I can see is that its around 2 bricks high off the ground with a concrete floor and soil around the edges before the stone slabs. Is there any way to find out?

Those panels leak like that. Noting to do with ground levels, damp courses or what ever, they all crack at the bottom, and when rain runs down the outside, it then comes in. Try clear silicone along the bottom joint, and/or clear water repellant around the bottom of the panels and slab edge

Those panels leak like that. Noting to do with ground levels, damp courses or what ever, they all crack at the bottom, and when rain runs down the outside, it then comes in. Try clear silicone along the bottom joint, and/or clear water repellant around the bottom of the panels and slab edge

Would that be clear water repellant around the inside or outside edge?

Outside. Water on the inside is already there and can't be repelled!

Outside. Water on the inside is already there and can't be repelled!
I'll have to try the silicon in the inside because the slabs aren't attached to the outside (theres 10mm of soil between the outside and the slabs.

I think i'll try a mix of both though, gravel trench around the edges and silicon seal the inside edges. Hopefully that'll get the bulk of it.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back