Damp coming though inner wall

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hello,

We have a situation where damp is coming in through an inner wall of a bedroom. We know the source of the damp as the shower unit is on the other side of the wall.

Called a plumber who re-sealed the bottom of the shower base with a silicone product to stop water seaping in between the shower base and the tiles (the entire bathroom is tiled from celing to floor). This worked fairly well over summer/autumn but as its winter the size of the damp got a bit bigger (now approx 10" X 4" inches) just above the skirting board.

I was wondering if to buy a product that will re-seal the tiles and grout within the shower compartment. But 1) I dont know what to buy for that. 2) If that will sort it. or 3) If anyone can suggest somethinig better that I can do.

Thanks!

Sponsored Links
I had a similar problem - moved into a new place where the previous owner was a diy bodger and found that the shower leaked into the kitchen below because the grout around the tiles was done poorly.

In my case the bathroom will be ripped out over the next few years and be done properly (once more major issues sorted), so as a short term fix I just siliconed each of the grout joints.

Looks crap but works great (for now). Will keep me going until get round to doing the bathroom.

If your bathroom is not in need of replacement then you'll have to do it properly - check whether water is getting between the tiles - e.g. cracked grout or old silicone around the bottom.

You can get grout sealers (Aquaseal) which I have used well in the past to stop white grout staining but would only be a temporary solution. You need to have a nosey and replace any old grout/silicone.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back