Damp course and replaster.how do I prep before painting?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hello,

Just wondered if anybody had any advice about painting over new plaster.
Recently had damp proofing injections and re plaster. So half the wall is new plaster and the upper half is old plaster.

However, I am pretty sure the join will show even after its been painted. Is there anything else I am meant to do to the wall before painting with non vinyl paint. A friend has said to get easy fill however, I am not very confident about doing this myself and actually it was quite costly to have the work done in the first place. Has the plasterer just done a shoddy job or is this normal?

Thanks

Sponsored Links
i tend to fill the join with easy fill and sand smooth. use watered down matt emulsion for your first coat. i thin my emulsion from 20 - 30 percent depending on manufacturer.

i would also sand the top of the wall as smooth as possible as this will have a texture due to previous paint where as the new plaster won't. there is also the option of lining paper if you cant get the top smooth enough to blend.

Has the new plaster been blended in to the old stuff?
If the plasterer knew what he was doing this should have been done.
Easi-fill is a jointing compound that can be sanded down when dry, it may help blend any rough joints in, if feathered in correctly but the beauty of it is if you do make an error you can sand down a reapply.
But one coat plaster can also do this.
When priming new plaster a mist coat should be applied you can buy this specially prepared or you can mix this yourself it's a diluted emulsion mix.
The ratio of dilution will depend on the thickness of the paint you have a good quality paint will need diluting by 20-25%, where a poor quality paint may need no dilution or very little. Read the info on the tin. It sometime explains the ration of dilution for a mist coat.

I agree. And make sure you leave the wall long enough for the damp-proof render and the plaster above it to dry our properly before painting. 6 weeks is average.

Sponsored Links
Hello,

Just wondered if anybody had any advice about painting over new plaster.
Recently had damp proofing injections and re plaster. So half the wall is new plaster and the upper half is old plaster.

However, I am pretty sure the join will show even after its been painted. Is there anything else I am meant to do to the wall before painting with non vinyl paint. A friend has said to get easy fill however, I am not very confident about doing this myself and actually it was quite costly to have the work done in the first place. Has the plasterer just done a shoddy job or is this normal?

Thanks

You say you have just had the wall re-plastered, how recent, and what did the plastering entail, point that I am trying to establish here is it dry enough to accept paint.

Dec

Are you sure that it is new plaster and not a cement render? I can't see why they would have chopped away the old bonding (basecoat plaster) and not have skimmed the whole wall.

If it is cement render then do not apply any paint other than matt paint for an awfully long time, as per the plasterer's instructions.

Cement dries much slower than plaster.

If you had a dry rot problem then the old plaster would have been chopped away 1m from any traces of the growth.

it is quite common for plasterers to plaster the bottom of wall and not the top, i think round about 1M.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back