Damp in a bedroom

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I have a three bedroom bungalow that is part of a row going up a hill. This means that on two sides the dpc and the air bricks are visible but on the other two sides the dpc disappears under ground level upto a maximum of about two feet underground.

I have recently started suffering from damp on the walls only in he back bedroom, This is where the dpc is under the ground.

It looks like when the house was built the outside bricks were coated with a sealer from the dpc up to house level, so is it likely that this sealer has worn away and that it was it is causing the water penetration. If so does that mean that to repair it I just need to dig down to the dpc and reseal the wall that is below ground.

This to me seems a temporary solution. Does it need a trough or similar around the edge of the house so the DPC is not covered by soil as a more
permanent solution.

The air bricks appear to have air pipes made of old guttering to supply them.

Any views would be appreciated, Am aware that i have probably just confused everyone so If there is any further questions, will be pleased to answer them.

Sponsored Links
grayster said:
I have recently started suffering from damp on the walls only in he back bedroom, This is where the dpc is under the ground.
The dpc should be 150mm above ground level.

Can you do a photo?

dpc06.gif

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back