Damp in bedroom ceiling from flashing on chimney stack.

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi there

We are experiencing a damp patch in the bedroom ceiling and wall when it rains – a regular occurrence, recently. I have got on to the roof to check the chimney area from where seems to be immediately above the damp area. I have poured a bucket of water over the flashing and certainly the damp is seeping through to the ceiling/wall area. Can anyone see anything amiss with the flashing as I am unable to work out why this ingress should have started to occur?

Thanks, guys. ;)

Sponsored Links
17000_16738_52403_42192266.jpg

I would suspect the lead dressed on the tile is not turned up the stack high enough under the flashing.
The water collecting force is running up and getting in. You would normally hve a back gutter there. It does look a bit bodgy.

Sponsored Links
I understand that the flashing has been in place as seen for 25 years or more, so it is difficult to see why the damp ingress should have only become a problem recently. It is interesting that you should raise the issue of a back gutter, Xenon. Not being able to conceive of any other remedy do you think it would be wise to have a back gutter added to the stack?

My next step would be to take a wet rag and a large bottle with water up on the roof, and make a dam with the rag behind the chimney, and then pour the water in to make a pool, then check for leaks down stairs. Its the corner we can't see that is probably the problem.

My next step would be to take a wet rag and a large bottle with water up on the roof, and make a dam with the rag behind the chimney, and then pour the water in to make a pool, then check for leaks down stairs. Its the corner we can't see that is probably the problem.

Right, I’ll carry this test out as soon as I can. Which corner are you referring to, catlad?

Ideally the lead upstand could do with going a bit higher, if it was mine I would fit a new lead back apron plus flashing.

cwb, is that the back gutter Xenon referred to earlier – I am assuming that this is the same thing? Sounds sensible, though. I will test the lead first as catlad suggests and then work out the best way to get this section of lead replaced.

Thanks again, guys. ;)

upstand a little shy, poor detailing on the right hand side, any damaged tiles higher up slope ? check tile channels .. the plastic is a piece of roof underlay..

Hi there, from the photo's shown it is clear that there is a number of things wrong with your roof.
The leadwork is wrong in a number of ways.
No backgutter has been formed with a soleplate which means that the chance of capillary action is increased especially during heavy or driving rain or snow.
The step flashing looks to have sufficient cover but has not been dressed into the profile of the tiles.
From the angle of the photo, the valley looks all wrong.
These are just the things I can see, if so much is wrong from first sight I can guarantee other things will be wrong once you start to uncover things and have a proper look.
I am afraid that the old saying of - "Well it's been okay for years like this" doesn't make something that's wrong right.
My best advice to you would be to get a large local firm that is a member of the Lead Contractors Association (Google it) to come and have a look for you as the problem looks to lead based. Many roofers know a lot about leadwork but get an expert in the correct field to look at it. NOT A GENERAL BUILDER!!!
Please remember everyone, you would not get a dentist to give you a brain transplant so always get the right person for the right job.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back