Damp in coal chute - would like to fix!

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,

I recently bought my first house so am totally new to DIY. My flat has a cellar which was quite dirty/musty. I cleaned it out - put some self levelling cement on the floor and painted the walls with masonry paint. After three months there are signs of damp because there is not much ventilation - no airbricks - plus there is an old coal chute which has a metal grate. I have a dehumidifier down there and during the summer it was taking a full tank per day.

I have a few questions which I hope can be answered as I cant really afford to get a tradesmen round - had a few bad experiences in my first few months.

1. Does it look like condensation? The damp patch is only in that part of the wall. There is a drain behind it but builder said it isnt related to that.
20170112_185414.jpg 20170112_185425.jpg
2. I read condensation smells but damp doesnt - do you think the metal grate is causing that as from the pictures it looks quite damp/mouldy in that section.
20170112_185618.jpg 20170112_185633.jpg

I was thinking of trying to fix this and wonder if the following sounds sensible

3. for the chute- get a fan and dry the area inside the coal chute. silicon around the metal grate to seal it. paint some thomson water seal onto the brickwork. install some batons/fibreboard in the chute and put some expanding foam into the gap.
4. for the wall - paint some waterseal onto the paint and repaint it

Apologies if this is not the type of post but just newbie looking for some advice! I've put a few photos but can do more if helpful. Many thanks.

20170112_185414.jpg

Sponsored Links
Is the top of the Shute in your garden or the road?
A mate covered his with a small lantern type enclosure.

But your cellar may need tanking to be waterproof

Hi,

Thanks for the reply. Its right in the garden but by the front door. I googled lantern enclosure and couldnt work out what you mean - do you have an example?

I got a quote for tanking and it was thousands... there is no chance I can do that. Was trying to think of a cheap fix I could try myself.

what I meant was ( depends on how the coal hole is accessed)

a mate's cellar had a coal shute who's entrance was below the front window.
He opened it and put a small pyramid type glass cover over it, obviously sealing the ground/join
This made a window to allow light but no damp into the shute/cellar.
quite a few houses around here just have a square framed, sloping roof made of timber/brick and plastic to cover the area.
(like a cold frame)

Sponsored Links
It will always be damp and your walls will always do that unless you spend a fortune having it tanked/lined. I'd only bother with that if you really need to use it as a habitable room but there are other considerations that might make that a no goer.

The best thing to do with a cellar like that in my view is to make sure it is very well ventillated to keep it as dry as possible but ultimately accept it will always be a bit damp down there.

Thanks for the replies. Yeh I'll try to think of a way to get it ventilated. I dont want it habitable but the smell is quite strong and gets into the flat so wanted to see if i could fix it a bit.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back