Damp in walls.

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hello all.

I have recently purchased a property that has a bit of damp on an internal wall between the livingroom and the kitchen.

We cannot figure out where its coming from have had a number of opinions saying that its condensation.

However i want to get on with decorating im going to set up a de-humidifier to see if this solves the problem but just wanted someone elses opinion on the matter.

see the attached pictures. thanks in advance

Sponsored Links
How long has the property been empty?

It's rising, so it's not condensation. Might there be a pipe in the wall? Have you looked under the floor boards?

I'd suspect water under the house, would there be an external wall near that has an issue with water sitting rather than running away from the wall?

Was empty for around 9-12 month, there was a cabinet up against the wall which I imagine hadnt been moved for quite a while.

It's not a stud wall so wouldn't have any pipes running near it should it ?

I haven't had a look under the floorboards as yet but will do.

It is linked with an external wall but that wall appears to be fine ?

Thanks for the quick reply

Sponsored Links
I had same problem when I was redecorating where a sideboard was the paper behind seemed all bubbly when stripped the plaster looked wet like yours just moved sideboard for a while and it dried up after a few days it's just trapped air behind something creating condensation , can see how it would be worse in a unoccupied house

The patch looks like it has been newly plastered, perhaps to hide long-term damp prior to sale.

You say it is a kitchen wall. Kitchens are well-supplied with pipes and drains, which often leak.

Did the damp patch reduce when you increased ventilation and used your dehumidifier?

what did you find when you looked under the floorboards?

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back