Damp Interior Walls

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi, I am redecorating an 1800 Farmhouse and have stripped wallpaper back to plaster. Black mould was growing through the paper in places and beneath was sopping wet. I have received contradictory advice on how to proceed. Some say let the walls dry out and then cover with gloss to prevent the damp seeping through again. Any ideas? :rolleyes:

Sponsored Links
Forget the gloss paint notion..its a (very) old wives tale!

You can use damp sealant paints, but with limited success..you really have to get to the root of the damp and nip it there first

I had a nasty suspicion it wouldn't be easy. The damp is due to a number of things. Condensation due to ill fitting windows. Concrete floors throughout the property. Metal used on the structure of the chimney stacks. Mice nesting between the stonework. No damp course. Why is the place still standing up? It's not my property, so any solution I provide must be temporary and cheap. :eek:

Thanks for advice. The damp is from condensation. Ill-fitting windows, no damp course, concrete floors, metal used in chimney stacks construction, etc, etc. I do not own the property so the solutions will have to be temporary and cheap. :eek:

Sponsored Links
Couple of coats of damp sealer then paint over with emulsion then..cheap, quick and very......very temporary.

you could try renting a dehumidifier for a couple of days before you use the stain block less chance of the damp coming threw wile your asking for your check, or a hairdryer if you completely resigned to the cheap option :LOL:

Thank you both for your advice. If it were my own property I would do it properly but if I can't persuade my Landlord to cough up it will have to be cheap and cheerful. :idea:

Stingy git...report him to environmental health when you leave...

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back