Damp internal doors - staining carpet

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hello. I've very recently bought a house and having just moved in it appears that a lot of the internal doors are weeping in places. I've not observed any drips of fluid, they just appear to have damp patches, though at least one is staining the carpet brown. All of the affected doors are unfinished (no varnish or paint).

Is there anyway I can stop this happening? I was hoping to paint/varnish the doors, but I'm not sure how good the finish will look given the damp patches. Any advice is greatly appreciated. Thanks.

Attachments

• 20160724_145606.jpg
    20160724_145606.jpg
    62.9 KB · Views: 169
  • 20160724_145525.jpg
    20160724_145525.jpg
    99.2 KB · Views: 178
  • 20160724_145555.jpg
    20160724_145555.jpg
    65.6 KB · Views: 198
Sponsored Links
Looks like the doors have been dipped and not allowed to dry before refit, I would take off the doors and dry outside in a covered area before reinstalling.Could be nasty fumes if chemicals have not been cleaned effectively.

Thanks for your reply. I've looked up what you meant by dipping and it seems like quite a nasty process. I certainly don't like the fact that they could be leaking chemicals into the local atmosphere. I've noticed a few splits on some of them too, which backs up your hypothesis, from what I've read. And it's perfectly likely they still haven't dried out yet after several months (we first viewed the property 4 months ago and they were hung in their current stripped state back then)?

Sponsored Links
I wish you hadn't told me that! That's going to bug me something rotten.

True. But, it looks like the knobs might then be too low down on the door. I would also have to relocate the catches (the bit recessed into the door frame, not sure of the proper terminology), leaving a large unsightly cut out in the frame where it used to be. There are six of these doors in total...

True. But, it looks like the knobs might then be too low down on the door. I would also have to relocate the catches (the bit recessed into the door frame, not sure of the proper terminology), leaving a large unsightly cut out in the frame where it used to be. There are six of these doors in total...
The knobs are in the correct place -the centre of the lock rail. Yes the latch recess (keep) would therefore need to be re-cut if you flipped the doors, and the old keep filled.

Last edited:
None of that's a problem though - you could pay a joiner and he'd have it done in a day.

Ok, that doesn't seem as bad. What would be used to fill the recess? Putty?
If it were me I'd use two part wood filler. A decent chippy could probably let a bit of wood in there.

In the unlikely event you live in the East Riding I could recommend someone ;)

Ok, that doesn't seem as bad. What would be used to fill the recess? Putty?
If it were me I'd use two part wood filler. A decent chippy could probably let a bit of wood in there.

In the unlikely event you live in the East Riding I could recommend someone ;)

Ha, well we're all the way over in Liverpool, and having just been rinsed by the solicitors/mortgage brokers it's gonna have to be a DIY job (as soon as she lets me). Thanks for all the advice.

I'm not sure they are upside down; my grandparents' house had doors where the upper panels were smaller than the lower panels.
Which is larger, the top rail or the bottom rail? I'd say the end with the bigger rail is always the bottom, irrespective of the size of the panels.

E.g.
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Reclaimed...ed-195cm-x-76-cm-c-w-lock-knobs-/131767535826
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Reclaimed-four-panel-internal-solid-wood-beaded-doors/272297221133

Or is there some other clue about the orientation?

Links in this post may contain affiliate links for which DIYnot may be compensated.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back