Damp issue caused by rain dripping off window sil (with pic)

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,

After having three damp surveys which have not identified the root cause of the issue, but are have issued a quote for work for two grand, I think I have found the cause of the damp issue in my house myself.

Please see pic:

Inside:

I stood out in the rain the other day and found that rain is dripping off the window on the first floor onto the window on the ground floor. This water is then bouncing off the window sill onto the wall to the left of the window (and the right of the door).

On the inside of the house is an area of damp corresponding to where the water is bouncing.

Now, the big question: how do I fix this?!

Any help much appreciated.

Cheers,
Notting

Sponsored Links
that's more than a few raindrops.

Is it dripping from that extended rainwater downpipe, or from the gutter, or running along that dark blurry ?handrail? that runs into the wall above the wet patch?

I stood out in the (heavy) rain for about 5 mins and did not see water coming from anywhere else.

I mean, it could be falling onto the sill from something above. The damp patch is more than I would expect from just rain on it. There are pipes and drains above.

Does the sill slope to the left?

Does the sill belong to you?

Is the drip groove under the front edge clear?

What is that dark blurry thing running into the wall in the corner directly above the wet patch? If it is a gutter, you owe me £10.

Sponsored Links
That grey pipe belongs to the neighbours in the flat above. I pretty sure that it comes out of their bathroom and comes from the sink.

I will knock on my neighbours and let you know when I find out more.

the dark blurry thing seemingly running into the wall half way up the first-floor window in this pic, and mostly obscured by the steelwork

Please take a photo of the flanking wall above the door.

The wall also looks wet around the nozzle of the hosepipe and those wastepipes, and there appears to be limescale under the tap. This is probably due to plumbing faults, or the hose tap left on.

There are millions of houses constructed like this and the do not suffer from this degree of water penetration, so I would think like the others, that you have a specific problem. I would excercise the waste outlet above the door, you may have a leak on an internal joint. If it is only splash back (wrong location), then wait for it to dry out and paint on a transparent silicone water proofer.
Frank

+1 for "what's that grey water pipe got to do with it?"

Obscured glass in window above suggests it's a bathroom. Money on above pipe being blocked/faulty an is cause of damp.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back