Damp on concrete floor

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hello, i'm hoping somebody could help. I have a house built around 1890. It's an end terrace and an offshot on the back with the kitchen in. The kitchen and dining room are both concrete floors while the living room to the front is a suspended timber floor.

I've just lifted the lino in the kitchen to replace it and it has mould underneath and in some places the concrete is darker, which im assuming is damp. There is definitely no leaks anywhere and the walls above are all dry. With the house being so old im guessing there wont have been any damp course in, although it has been injected within the last few years.

Is it just as simple as sealing the floor before relaying the lino or will it require more work?

Sponsored Links
You may not have a damp proof membrane, liquid dpm's are available for application directly to the concrete, but are expensive. Read the stickies in the flooring section.

Could also be spilt liquid that has somehow run under the lino and become trapped.

Any pipes buried in the floor?

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back