Damp on inner wall...

1. Perhaps some pics of the exterior showing the S&VP and inspection chamber. And the gulley with the bricks cleared.

2. Have you examined the gulley as suggested?

3. What part of this scanned plan is the extension?

4.What were the results of my hose blast suggestions?

5. Dont remove the gulley or drainage pipework, merely dig and expose while testing and looking - no camera until you run out of DIY options.

Sponsored Links
1. Perhaps some pics of the exterior showing the S&VP and inspection chamber. And the gulley with the bricks cleared.

2. Have you examined the gulley as suggested?

3. What part of this scanned plan is the extension?

4.What were the results of my hose blast suggestions?

5. Dont remove the gulley or drainage pipework, merely dig and expose while testing and looking - no camera until you run out of DIY options.

Thanks.

S&vp is soil pipe? That is not visible as everything is underground. Will dig around gully and do more investigation on weekend.

Yes examined the gully. Put my hand into it and it is not blocked up, was fairly empty aside from water. The base/bottom did not feel flat. I have a pump and intend to empty it to see if base is broken.

Host blast.. I can't get a hose to that corner of building but will have a think.

This plan is the south east corner of building and shows front bedroom (office) bathroom and hall. This is original part of building in terms of interior walls and floors however outer skin was replaced in 1994. Toilet is in original position pre renovation. This gully is also original. I suspect toilet soil pipe which descends into concrete floor and appears underground at inspection chamber is also original.

Thanks again for your reply.

1. S&VP is soil and vent pipe - i presume that you have a double or single syphonic pan, which "S" traps into the floor?

2. Gulley, as mentioned above, only requires bailing out - container and sponge.

3. Why not buy (from screwfix) a 100mm or 150mm drain test plug, and plug the openings at the inspection chamber. Then fill the gulley and observe- then do the same with the WC opening. Loss of water level will indicate a leak.

4. Hose pipes can be attached to bathroom taps.

Hi

Thanks again.

Havent got round to screwfix yet. Or hose, don't think that's a go anyway due to location of type of tap.

I emptied the gully. Looks to be in good condition. Feeling around the outlet it seems to u bend up - what type of gully is this? It feels like there is another chamber by the exit, as part of the gully. This gully is set very low compared to others, suggests outside ground level was lower at some stage?

The water that pumped out was horrible, black and smelly.

Cheers

Sponsored Links
Just to follow on, this gully is actually broken and throwing pretty much all the water that goes into it (shower, bathroom sink) against the wall and foundation of the house.

I am hopeful that this is the source of my ground level damp, along with partial cavity bridging in places.

Removing paving slabs and a bit of concrete around the gully (original clay type) there is a fairly large void. I put my DIY cavity cam into it and you can see the glazed bottle (gully?) as well as the water pouring out.

On the CCTV which was done in the week, it showed the water eventually pouring into the toilet soil pipe which is also underground (actually goes through the foundation) and has a crack in it.

The crack in the soil pipe seems to be letting water in (its at the top of the pipe) rather than out, and the entire flush load seemed to exit into the IC.

The gulley pipe on the other hand only shows a dribble initially into the IC and then comes out of the toilet soil pipe in the IC - most of it seemingly going to ground.

In two minds currently about digging further or getting someone in to fix it. Haven't had the full report yet from the CCTV.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back