Damp on walls inside windows

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,

I have a problem with damp on all the upstairs walls next to double glazed windows, as you can see below.

//media.diynot.com/191000_190805_62250_16649073_thumb.jpg
//media.diynot.com/191000_190805_62252_13716672_thumb.jpg
//media.diynot.com/191000_190805_62254_95048559_thumb.jpg

I have looked at the sealant on the outside and it all seems ok. My concern is that UPVC Guttering was installed after the windows were fitted, I am not sure when as it was before I bought the house.

What could be causing these damp patches? It is on all the upstairs windows. The sealant inside the windows seems to be over the top of the wallpaper, could this be causing the problem? There are also a few small gaps where the plaster has crumbled.

I'm hoping it is the not the guttering that is causing this problem, as it all looks very new.

Any ideas?

Thank you

Richard

Sponsored Links
I belief the windows outer frame its not insulated with expanding foam,the gap between frame and wall, you can do this from outside, make sure its foam underneath the cill, obviously you have to use a long ladder.

Very unlikely that this is due to the windows leaking with that much moisture in the head. I would be checking the roof, the felt and water pipes in the attic.

Water is getting into the cavity above the window somehow.

Sponsored Links
Are these just cold spots where there is no insulation between the frame and wall. We have had mould around window frames that we have just replaced. The old timber frames were just bricked in and the cavity was bridged that way, the moisture in the house could condensate on the cold parts of the wall paper and we had regular mold spots. The new windows are foamed in as well as screwed in.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back