Damp patches appearing on internal walls. Help!

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,

I live in a terraced stone built cottage built in 1900. We have had bad wind and rain where I live lately and I have patches of damp appearing on my landing area internal walls. I really don't know what is causing this. Been told it could be penetrating damp or just condensation. I'll try upload images and I would appreciate anyone's help.

Attachments

• image.png
    image.png
    674.9 KB · Views: 322
  • image.png
    image.png
    699.7 KB · Views: 356
Sponsored Links
Hi Andy, I've not been able to check yet. I'm waiting for my dad to come as he had ladders. I did think perhaps they're overflowing but I would have thought a larger area of the wall would be damp, but what do I know. When it's raining heavily, I do sometimes see a small amount of water flowing down the window. Somebody else had told me it could be condensation or a leak in the eaves of the loft trickling down the wall internally.

The guttering and down comers are the first things to check, Ben, as Andy says. Next, the seals between the window frames and stonework is worth checking at the same time.
I've had water ingress through my exterior stone (50's cottage, stone, cavity, thermalite) for the first time ever, due to prolonged horizontal rain so I'll be spraying it with Waterseal or similar when (if) it dries up a bit.
John :)

Sponsored Links
Thanks John. Do you think it's anything serious or very costly to sort out? It's my first house and I've only lived here a few months and I'm skint haha. I'm really worrying about it being something serious

The house has stood for a good while Ben, it ain't going to fall down on you now!
Plaster doesn't like getting wet though, so do attend to what we've suggested as soon as you can......the worst scenario is the plaster would need to be replaced as it tends to powder somewhat.
So.....do check the pointing outside for cracks, gaps or whatever and get back to us with what you find. Another issue with terraced properties is the join between the neighbours roofs and yours, especially if you are on a hill.
Keep us informed!
John :)

Thank you for your help. I know I'm probably being over dramatic but I worry. Need this bloody rain to stop! It's relentless. I'll let you know how I get on. Thanks again

It's actually belting it down now and I've just gone around the back and the gutters are overflowing. There's a stream of water running down the stone. So I'm guessing it is the gutters which are blocked up

Sometimes gutters just get overloaded with the type of rain we get these days. It's certainly proof of climate change.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back