Damp proofing a garage floor slab

Sponsored Links
Looking at that picture, what is to stop rain from soaking into the slab where it extends past the garage structure?

The slab will not suffer from rain soaking into it but the (mortar, mastic) join betwixt the sectional garage and the slab, will. It will be fine and dandy for a while but as soon as there is any movement whatsoever then the join can and will be broken and rainwater will seep in.

I personally do not subscribe to raft type slabs particularly those that are above the ground and use a pronounced 'toe' edge. Good for a shed only me thinks.

I guess the only answer is a permanently pliable mastic joint - usually industrial and expensive.

Oh right I see, forgive me for being daft but if the slab wont absorb rain water why does it need dpm from ground damp etc.

cheers

Pippoi

Sponsored Links
Oh right I see, forgive me for being daft but if the slab wont absorb rain water why does it need dpm from ground damp etc.

cheers

Pippoi

I did not say that the slab will not absorb any moisture i merely said that it will not suffer from rainwater hitting it.

Once the slab has hardened there will be very little absorption from rainfall, practically none. The polythene acts as a protection from moisture ingress, protection from ground gasses and can help deal with condensation.

You are forgiven. ;)

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back