Damp proofing window pillar.

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I have serious damp on brick window pillar. Having hacked off the render (clearly been bodged - mix of sand/cement on top of plaster finish in places!), clear that significant damp coming through from external wall. This is the original part of the house, and I believe it has solid walls, or only a very small cavity - about 2 feet thick. However, pillars are clearly not thick enough to hold back damp. The lintels form a cavity from the top of the window lintels on up - a recent addition I think.

Looking at the brickwork, this doesn't look like cavity closing - the bricks extend into the external wall.

I need to stop the damp before I replace the windows. It is only on the pillars, not the internal window reveals. Options are:

Support internal lintels, cut out internal pillars back to external wall, rebuild pillars with insulation filled cavity, normal cavity closers (big job);

Cut a slot flush with the external wall once the windows are out, insert 100mm damp proof membrane - tank internal face of pillar and key for re-render - easier job, but could simply move problem elsewhere
20160501_105735.jpg
20160501_105813.jpg
20160501_105819.jpg
20160501_105835.jpg
!

Any thing else anyone can come up with?

Thanks

Sponsored Links
If you posted some photos of the outside from both angles and a view of the whole elevation it might help. So would a "stepped back"photo of the interior showing the frames and pillar(s) in question.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back