Damp - Victorian Semi. could several layers of exterior paint be an issue?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi my folks live in a Victorian Semi in London.
There is lots of damp on multiple walls at the rear of the house.

I've been reading about the 'Rising Damp Myth' and similar skepticism. E.g.

As a result I'm wary of getting in a surveyor that will start talking about 'damp courses' etc.

I know there could be several root causes. The double glazing etc.
One neighbour have more airbricks , and the other recently installed more.

Once thing I'm wondering, over the last 40 years, my Dad has painted the exterior of the house about 5 times if not more. Is it possible that this may contribute to the damp?

PS I've just seen this. "Paint for application to brick masonry walls should be durable, easy to apply and have good adhesive characteristics. It should be porous if applied on exterior masonry, thereby permitting the wall to breathe and preventing the trapping of free moisture behind the paint film."

If so is there a simple way to strip it all off , or will that be a nightmare?

Last edited:
Sponsored Links
A hire shop will supply stone grinders such as the: EPO 1802H Diamond Grinder - and any such powerful machines will take the paint off in no time.
Practice on an obscure bit of brickwork.
How you handle the machine and the variety of stones available will depend on your skill, and if done lightly you can leave a clean good condition brick surface.

Its best practice that no paint, even masonry paint, is applied to any kind of masonry - down the road it most always causes problems.

As for the damp what you should do next is to photo all interior signs of damp, and also photo all exterior elevations, and post all pics on here.

Sponsored Links
Hi ydrol,

if the mold is black it is more than probable that it is due to condensation. The lack of ventilation causes this and although you may have trickle vents in the widows they are not always that effective. You should also check that your air bricks have not been blocked up (I found one in my house had been blocked and over-plastered which resulted in excessive mold in one room - when I opened it and corrected the problem the mold has now gone)
I'm also having a problem with condensation at my daughter's flat - the condensation runs down her windows and mold keeps appearing on the ceiling.
Having done a lot of research I've come across what appears to be an effective solution; certainly all the reviews seem to say it's bang on so I'm going to buy one and fit it.
The device is a Nuaire Drimaster ventilator (various models) see http://www.nuaire.co.uk/home/ - they can be bought from various suppliers at various cost

Hope this helps.

ydrol, good evening.

Can you elaborate on what walls are affected? and at what height the dampness is appearing?

Have the affected walls, presumably external been cavity filled? if so when? and if you know with what sort of material?

Ken.

I'll ask about cavity filling. I dont think that has been done. I'll get some interior/exterior shots after next visit in dry weather. Damp is on exterior walls of both floors - full height of walls.

ydrol, good evening again.

At next visit, look externally for "Fairly" regularly spaced filled in 20 / 25.mm holes, they are generally about 2. m apart and between windows as well as below windows, they can generally easily be spotted on Brick work or roughcast render.

Also have a look into the air bricks see if they are blocked up with something?

Ken.

Is there a water meter? It will show up plumbing leaks.

ydrol, good evening. yet again.

Having re-read your O/Post.

You ask about best way of removing external paint?

I would hang back on this aspect until cavity fill question is resolved.

Suggest you have a look on the WWW for "Soda Blasting" sounds as if it is some sort of explosive thing, but it is in effect using a soft material in a Sand blasting situation, if that is making sense?

Ken.

I just checked:
They have had damp problems as long as they've had the house ? (45+ years), - biggish family 5 kids :) I never really noticed myself - too busy being a kid I guess!

The Cavilty Wall Insulation was installed about 25 years ago (but this might not be a smoking gun just another contributor ..)

The damp does seem to have grown worse in recent years despite the kids (us) moving away, I suspect this is partially due to the roof valleys leaking at the front of the house (these are currently being repaired)

Incidentally I think the House was not painted when my parents purchased it - but was painted soon afterwards and several times subsequently. And I'll bet good money, this would have been - ahem - inexpensive paint.

I guess a holist approach might be needed?

The front roof valleys and a cracked chimney flaunching are currently being repaired ? After that I guess wait for a spell of warm dry weather to see if it also helps the rear walls?

Also thinking of getting a trickle vent-axia in the bathroom as there is a lot of condensation that doesn't shift easily even when the window is open. But I guess focus on causes first ...

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back