Damp wall issue

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi in my bedroom I have a damp patch that appears and seems to get worse after a shower in my ensuite.

I'm not sure if its the steam from the shower hitting the already dampish wall.

It seems there at the moment even after no rain for a few days.

I had someone check the roof and they think its the seal around the chimney leaking.

I went in the loft tonight had a look and can see it looks like the felt around the chimney is damp, but can't see its entry point to the wall. Also it looks like a piece of wood to the right if its sticking out of the roof.

I've attached a picture here.

Does anyone think the dampness could be running down the side I can't see and what do you think to the wood sticking through?

Another roofer reckons I need drip trays on the eves, I think he's wrong?

[/img]

Sponsored Links
Difficult to tell by your photos:
Is the chimney flue operational?
The damp could be condensation of the flue pipe or flashing on roof.
But you say conditions worsen when showering, so could have two problems.
Is the en-suite wall where the cubicle is?
If so is it finished with tiles or water resistant material?
As it should be tiled or water tight, but the seals on tray/basin my have failed and also the grout on tiles.

Thanks for the reply, the flu is in operation but not been used for a while.

The ensuite is partly tiled, the actual shower cubicle is fully. But the rest us tiled half way up. However it is a about one and a half meters away from the damp patch.

I wondered if condensation was collecting on the flu in the loft from the shower as well as perhaps leaking through the chimney seal on the roof.

Sponsored Links
Thanks, I'm not sure what pipe work would be there without attempting to get further to the roof and looking down. Although I can only see the flu and not sure what other pipes could be there? Any ideas what there could be?

Without knowing your lay out and the way pipes could be routed, could not give an definitive answer.
But the usual stuff to consider would be; any hot/cold water feed to and from the en-suite, possible waste pipes(but unlikely), flow and return pipes for radiators.

It's an extractor fan in the ceiling with the pipe running up the loft and into the roof. It's a about two metres away from the flu to its left

Think I have got to the bottom of this, my neighbours have a storm collar on their flue, I dont. So water is leaking between the lead flashing and flue.

I am going to seal around the flue, and instakll a storm collar.

Thing is the size of the required collar.

I am going to measure the circumference of the flue, and I believe storm collar sizes are the diameter of the hole in the storm collar is that correct? So I will work out the diameter.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back