Damp Wall & Plaster Following Leak

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I recently had a new kitchen fitted and noticed that new plaster would not dry on a 3 meter width area of external kitchen wall directly below my bathroom. The kitchen fitter still went ahead and put the units up and painted the newly plastered wall. 3 weeks later the paint was peeling off and water stains could be seen on the wall. Water marks were also clearly seen on the kitchen ceiling.

A plumber investigated and found that water was leaking from various pipe joints but mostly from the concealed shower thermostat pipes in the bathroom. Once the tiles and flooring were removed I could see the soaked wall and rotten floor. The bathroom wall took almost 8 weeks to dry using a dehumidifier before being re-tiled.

I have been trying to dry the wall in the kitchen below but it seems I am fighting a lost battle. The dehumidifier is filling with 3 litres of water every 24 hours and so far this has been running for 3 weeks with no clear improvement !!!!

Will it ever dry?? Is there any shortcuts ?? How long will it take?? Can I use a coat of something to allow the paint to not show the damp??

I'm slowly losing the will and wonder if I can do anything to speed this process up, I have taken down the new kitchen units whilst trying to dry the wall.

Any advice is very much appreciated.

Thanks Nick

Sponsored Links
I am confident the leaks are fixed. I will however check the bathroom for leaks. Is it realistic that the wall kitchen wall could take months to dry ???

Sponsored Links
No what kind of plastering took place was it float and set or just a skim? You say its an external wall have you checked outside ? Can you send pics?

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back