Damp wood under new paintwork

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
The exterior of my wooden windows, which are old but fairly solid, were sanded and painted last summer by professionals, using Dulux trade undercoat (2 coats) and gloss. A few weeks ago I noticed some of the paint was bubbling up slightly, and when I investigated I found I could peel the paint off by hand and underneath the wood was very damp. In fact it was wet in places - I could squeeze water out of it by pressing on it. As we had not had rain for about 6 weeks prior to this, I am wondering where the water came from. It is only along the bottom edge of the frames (opening and non-opening). In some places it may have been caused by the putty separating from the glass and allowing rain in, although in other places the putty looks sound. I noticed that the damp appears to come from the middle out, i.e. it's wetter about an inch into the frame than it is on the outside. The opening windows are also damp along their outside bottom edge, even where the paint looks sound.
Sorry - bit long winded - but I am now in the process of repairing the frames and replacing the putty, and I want to be sure I haven't missed whatever might have caused the problem. Anyone got any idea what's happened?

Sponsored Links
Jon

In these situations it not easy to offer advice, would it be possible for you to supply a few pics so have can have a better idea of whats gone wrong.

Dec

If it's not defective putty, it's probably condensation from the inside, seeping into the wood.

Sponsored Links
Thanks both of you. I cannot provide photos at the moment because the repairs are either done already or I have hacked out the wet stuff to give it a chance to dry.
I think the condensation answer might be a good one, there are definite gaps between glass and frame on the inside, and being single glazed are prone to condensation. I'll be sure to address that as well as the outside. I suppose the downside of having good quality paint is that if any mositure does get in, it is unlikely to dry out.
I'll post a photo when I start on the next frame.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back