Dampness from Dot & Dab Plasterboard ?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hello

One the inside of an exterior wall we are getting damp blotches, being going on for a while.

I had a roofer look at it, it seems it is a plasterboard wall affixed with dot and dabs.

The room is quite cold and that corner gets the driving rain and prevailing wind.

My question is what is the best alternative wall lining, preferably with thermal insulation ? Is plaster better, but what about the thermal insulation ?

(Victorian house, this is the top bedroom under the gable)

Thanks for any help.

Attachments

• IMG_3563.JPG
    IMG_3563.JPG
    75.4 KB · Views: 171
  • IMG_3564.JPG
    IMG_3564.JPG
    69.1 KB · Views: 166
Last edited:
Sponsored Links
You've been given umpteen amounts of advice ref the damp penetration in your property - now you are back again in a different thread ignoring all the other details regarding the condition of your roofing and roof drainage and asking for advice as though this post is somehow a separate issue?

This is a different issue. If you have nothing to say you don't need to unload your anger here.

so it's not the same house that water penetration from the shocking roof and gutter bodges?

full

Sponsored Links
Which bodges? That photo is from the other side of the roof btw.
Do you have anything useful to say, or are you just trollnig ?

I have no interest in trolling.

But it is valid to observe that your roof and gutters are bad. It may be coincidence that you have wet patches on the upstairs walls. Or it may not.

Good luck.

There's no anger or trolling here, merely, on my part, a refusal to lead the horse to water again.

I'v previously, along with others, given you lengthy detailed advice. You appear to have blithely ignored the advice and gone for mickey mouse solutions instead.
I look back at your posts from 2010 and there's much confusion - yet you were still given further patient suggestions.

Suddenly we are at the other side of the building & you expect your reader to know this?
Mind you for a poster who has serious water entering his property from here and there and a bodge showing in many photos - you've previously ignored what actually matters & then switched to "what about the front path tiles and building a balcony would be nice" requests?

That's all your imagination. Any suggesions were acted upon.

As I said this is a new issue.

The photos you've posted look like condensation on the dot&dab where the adhesive is forming a cold bridge.

The simplest solution is to increase the temperature and ventilation in the room.

The better solution is to remove the existing board and replace with better insulation

The photos you've posted look like condensation on the dot&dab where the adhesive is forming a cold bridge.
The simplest solution is to increase the temperature and ventilation in the room.
The better solution is to remove the existing board and replace with better insulation
Thanks for those suggestions. I wonder if other options might also work :

How about putting another layer of plasterboard on top ?

Or how about painting a latex paint over it ?

Or how about plastering over the top with thermal plaster ?

None of those will add any significant insulation value to the existing board.

Two issues:

1) You have high (relative) humidity in the room

2) You have a cold surface for the water vapour to condense on

1 is easy to tackle - increase temp and ventilation
2 needs a genuine increase in insulation

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back