danfoss randall 103E need to swap to Drayton LP522

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi there,

could anyone help me a with wiring diagram for the danfoss 103E, not sure how it`s working but was installed when the central heating was installed on a fully pumped system. Listed below is what connections are in place upon it.

A fused spur with red. black and earth
one incoming 4 core with yellow, red, blue and earth.
one incoming 3 core with red, black and earth.

nothing in terminal 2
yellow and red from 4 core both in terminal 1
all blues or blacks in terminal 5
all earths in terminal 4
red from 3 core in terminal 6
red from fused spur in terminal 3
and a link put between 3 and 6

what I`m trying to establish is, how is the mid port valve operating via the cylander stat, or isn`t it, I would idealy like to use a programmer that would work the rads and hot water separately. I have purchased the drayton LP522, will it work with the present wiring, there is a 3 port mid valve, and cylander stat in operation, also a room stat.

kind regards

John Lockett

Sponsored Links
1. Are there two or three cables going into the Danfoss 103?

2. What do the other end of each cable connect to? (My crystal ball is in for a service ;) )

The LP522 will work, but you will need to modify your wiring as the Danfoss 103 is a single channel timer (same times for CH and HW), while the Drayton LP522 is a two channel timer (CH and HW can have separate times)

You will probably need to buy a wiring centre (junction box) to connect everything together.

there are 3 wires, the 3 core from a fused spur, a 4 core and another 3 core, I think the second 3 core possibly goes to the boiler, and the 4 core goes upto a wiring center that is a bit chaotic wiring wise, I will be swapping this for draytons LWC1 wiring center in due course, going into the wiring center is a grundfoss pump, a mid port valve, cylander themostat, and a room thermostat.

what wiring change will I need to do, to the programmer.

there are 3 wires, the 3 core from a fused spur, a 4 core and another 3 core,
Thanks, that's useful.

I think the second 3 core possibly goes to the boiler
You need to know where this wire goes to!

Which boiler do you have?

the 4 core goes upto a wiring center that is a bit chaotic wiring wise, I will be swapping this for draytons LWC1 wiring center in due course, going into the wiring center is a grundfoss pump, a mid port valve, cylander themostat, and a room thermostat.
Provided the existing wiring centre has 10 terminals, there is no need to spend money on a LWC1.

what wiring change will I need to do to the programmer.
Can't accurately say without knowing what each wire does. But, from the limited info you have given, the yellow and red from the 4-core cable seem to be the ones which are important. The 3-core cable just connects to the power terminals of the Danfoss, so it is probably just a permanent supply to the boiler - but this will be confirmed by the boiler make and model.

Sponsored Links
how is the mid port valve operating via the cylander stat, or isn`t it,
To answer this question, my guess is that one of the two wires (red and yellow) from terminal 1 of the Danfoss goes to the HW thermostat and the other goes to the CH thermostat.

I have a gloworm ultimate 60ff boiler, I`m not an electrician by any means, but have now decided to get a friend out who is, so as I can identify the wires, when I checked out the wiring center, there were three sets of wires coming into it, three 4 core , none of them ordinary black red and earth colours, but red yellow and blue with earths, I`v guessed that one of the 4 core will be from the programmer, and one of them is the room stat, as I fitted a new one recently, and that had red, yellow and blue and earth, don`t know about the 3rd, I`ll get my friend to put a meter on them and identify which wire does what exactly, but this will be at the weekend when he`s off. I do know none of the those wires are from the pump, or mid port or cylander stat as they were all traceable by me, I suppose the mid port must be working somehow, as the hot water and radiators are hot, but this will be in the mid position, and in the summer we turn the room stat to zero and it just heats the water.

Your electrician friend may find this wiring diagram for a mid-position valve system helpful. But the pump will not be connected to terminal 8, as it is controlled directly by the boiler. So here is the link to the Ultimate 60FF Installation Instructions.

Post any problems or queries back to this topic.

8dxytxf.jpg

thanks for the info, I will post back as to how it all goes, I think that you answered quite a lot to me in the first post, ie the danfoss is a single channel and the drayton is a dual channel, I think that the main 4 core cable might have to be replaced with a 5 core to work as a dual channel, although I hope not.
regards John,

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back