danfoss thermostat valve sticking shut

amm

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,

I have one cold radiator, cold pipes leading in with a danfoss valve at one end. Same as the below picture.
//www.diynot.com/img/forum/sturgeon1.jpg
//www.diynot.com/img/forum/sturgeon2.jpg

After reading through all the other topics I think its stuck, doesn't respond to changing the setting.
DIY says "To free a stuck trv, first remove the plastic head from the brass body. This is usually done by unscrewing a knurled ring or nut, but some trvs (e.g. Danfoss, giacomini) have other fixing methods."

I can't find any advice on how to unstick a danfoss valve, please can anyone help. The white mushroom shaped bit appears to be on spring.

Thank you for your help.[/img]

Sponsored Links
Hi

There will be a pin in the middle gently push down with a pair of pliers then raise it a couple of times. If it is stuck this should free it.

HTH

Thank you for answering, hope this isn't too much of a dim question.
How do I get to the pin in the middle?

thanks

if the valve is exactly like the one in the photo you need to loosen the screw in the band the holds the plastic valve head onto the brass valve, then "wiggle" ( a technical term!!) the head off, use the flat end of the valve head to push the pin in a few times, it should spring out and the rad will heat, you might need to spray it with silicone spray (or WD40 if it is all you have) then refit the head and tighten the screw

Sponsored Links
that is why i asked if the valve was the same as the one in the pic, ie an old one with a securing band, the newer ones have a large securing nut that is spring loaded and removed by turning anti clockwise which will allow the head to come off easily, the old ones are very tight and require some pressure to remove.
PS DO NOT PULL THE PIN OUT, as it might come right out and cause a leak, but push it in and lubricate it to free it.

This worked perfectly; you need to be a touch more aggressive than you would like in order to remove the plastic thermostat head but when removed you can clearly see the pin and a couple of taps on it triggered some well needed gurgling in the two radiators. We will be warmer for your warmith - many thanks.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back