dangerous

Sponsored Links
RF Lighting said:
Thought smoking was the biggest cause of domestic fires :rolleyes:

Yup, falling asleep and dropping your cigarette is the most common cause of house fires fires, so unfortunately nidgehj, you can't blame the members of this forum for that one...

nidgehj said:
so how can electricity be as harmless as some of the replies to my post sugest

No-one has said electricity is harmless - I said electricity is safe if you know what you are doing. It is also deadly if you don't, but that is the whole purpose of this forum, to give advice to people so that they are better informed about the work they are about to carry out.

Davy

nidgehj said:
i also think im right in saying that electrical faults contribute to more fires in domestic premises than any other single cause, so how can electricity be as harmless as some of the replies to my post sugest

Where has anyone said that electricity is harmless ?

Certainly mis-use and un-informed use of it is.

Largest cause of electrical fires is equipment left on and un-attended that develops an internal fault.

RF Lighting said:
When was the last time you installed a 13A supply using 1.0mm²?

We all use a minimum of 2.5 as a rule of thumb for power circuits, but to be fair, it is possible (calculations permitting of course) to use 1.0mm² to feed a 13A load.

We did an exercise at college (ooh, way back in the 80's! (under the 15th)) to prove that, providing the length was not too great, 1.0mm² could feed an immersion heater.

We did a second to prove that it could also feed a bank of sockets fed via the load terminals of a 13A fused spur.

Sponsored Links
feeling a bit out numbered now, but still stand by my comments, just hope nobody gets hurt, keep sparkin guys

I would just like to say with regard to your post nidgehj that as a diy person myself I am very grateful to the professionals on this site and elsewhere for their time and advice. I have reached the age of 54 by listening to people like this, otherwise I may be dead by doing something stupid.It is obvious that you think that ALL diy enthusiasts are complete morons.

nidgehj said:
i also think im right in saying that electrical faults contribute to more fires in domestic premises than any other single cause, so how can electricity be as harmless as some of the replies to my post sugest

Thats not what the stats on the RoSPA site say....

Two more note-worthy points: when the cause of a fire cannot be indentified, apparently electrical is often used as a scape goat by the fire officer.

Secondly, be careful of using figures just relating to electrical, quite a large chunk of them relate to non-fixed wireing, so be carful of stats just relating to 'electrical'

If we wanted to prevent house fires, it would be more effective to get people to avoid DIY cooking than DIY electrics....

especially that lethal cocktail of stove-top chip pans & alcohol.

cant remember quoting any stats or figures, but hey ho. not unlike this website, lol

fight fire with fire, my old dad used to say, probly why he got sacked from the brigade

You miss the point....People who visit this forum are intelligent enough to seek it out and ask for advice.

You should be far more worried by the DIYers, who do not seek advice.... :eek:

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back