dangerous

nidgehj said:
im not saying the contributors do not know what they are talking about, far from it, im just suprised that this site can give out information such as the current carrying capacities of cables in a table that has no correction factors, for voltage drop or the enviroment they are going to be installed, for instance. part p isnt just for qualified electricians you know.
, i also think im right in saying that electrical faults contribute to more fires in domestic premises than any other single cause, so how can electricity be as harmless as some of the replies to my post sugest

talk crap, desktop computers are the fire capital of the world it used to be chip pans but due to oven chips and thermostatic deep fat friers this has changed, not electricity you idiot.
electrical faults dont cause fires, people, do if electric equipment is serviced regularly and wired correctly there would be no fires, hence the absolute need for this website, this site could probably show you how to rewire a complete house very safely. libraries have had books on the subject for years, and most electrical fires are on the low side of electric instalations like after the sockets not before them, if your house is rewired correctly and you use the correct materials ( not generally having been done by a spark) it will be fine i bet. dont knock it, try it.

Sponsored Links
I am not aware of a regular on this site who would say"you want a 16A supply? 2.5 will be fine"

The question regarding installation methods / environment is always asked.

Not like the sheds who sell cable marked with it's current carrying capacity. :rolleyes:

When was the last time you installed a 13A supply using 1.0mm²?

cable.jpg

1.0mm cable is fine
it can carry 3120 watts is this ampage not high for lighting, that would be 6 x 500 watt lights and still be under the max. get a grip, and why would a spark visit focus diy. (look at the package in the picture). paranoia i say.

Hi Weegogs,

Just wondered what your opinion is about this 'millennium bug' we hear about and how it may affect us?

Sponsored Links
Suitable for lighting circuits Maximum rating at 240V 11.5A - inner wall enclosed in conduit. 12A - through inner wall without conduit. 16A - surface mounted.StandardsCE 6242YHBS 6004

For the retailer be able to write detailed descriptions like that requires research by the retailer and research costs money.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back