Dark wood renovation

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I'm trying to tidy up an old table, probably 1950's. It's just the standard 'dark wood' finish but I can't match it. Does anyone know if it would have been a stain or wax?
The areas that aren't damaged have a lovely patina so I don't want to strip it all back to the wood. (looks like oak)
Any ideas?

Sponsored Links
I'm trying to tidy up an old table, probably 1950's. It's just the standard 'dark wood' finish but I can't match it. Does anyone know if it would have been a stain or wax?
1950s? Quite possibly oak with a brown oak stain or a Jacobean oak stain, although it might be an African or Far Eastern hardwood, stained. Any chance of a photo?. Depending on if was factory made the finish could be a variety of things. Most factories went onto solvent-based cellulose lacquers after WWII and then later-on onto 2-pack catalysed lacquers, but if it were made as a one-off, or it has ever bbeen refinished, it might have French polish or possibly even a varnish, although wax with stained oak probably isn't a combination and professional would use

To identify the finishes select a small unobtrusive area (e.g. the back of a leg) and try the following:-

Try scraping the surface - French polish producesfine broken shavings which are very friable (break-up easily) whilst varnishes produce a hard yellow shaving

Rub on some methylated spirits - if the finish softens and dissolves it is French polish

If that fails, rub on some acetone - if the finish dissolves instantly it is cellulose lacquer

If neither dissolves the finish then try softening the finish with turpentine or white spirit - if the finish softens with either of these it is probably wax.

If none of the above works you may well have a 2-pack AC (acid catalysed) or PU (polyurethane) finish

This isn't exhaustive, just the most common finishes

The areas that aren't damaged have a lovely patina so I don't want to strip it all back to the wood. (looks like oak)
Depends on identifying the finish first, I'd say. Many finishes are incompatible, hence the need to identify the finish first

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back