Dartford crossing payment

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I'm hiring a van this week and going to use the Dartford crossing. I can't pay online in advance as I don't know the number plate yet, any idea?

Sponsored Links
AFAIK you can post-pay over the telephone or via the website.

As I said, if you cannot PRE-pay because you don't have the number plate, I am certain you can POST pay via the website (or telephone) as long as you pay by midnight the day after you cross.

You will know the number plate by then....

;)

Sponsored Links
You have until midnight the next day to pay. Check on Google for a place that accepts crossing payments in your local area.

It's simple as I found out when I had to go through the tunnel - you can pay online after your trip. Just go to https://www.dartford-crossing-charge.service.gov.uk/Home/Choose after your trip and click on the 'Make a one off payment'. I think you get 24 hours to pay after you've used the bridge/tunnel. You get a pdf receipt too which is great if you need to claim expenses. The old toll booths didn't give receipts

Got the van hire number plate and paid in advance, doesn't say anywhere on the receipt how long the Dartford crossing is valid for and not even on their website!

I think it was 12 months when I was using the crossing last year?

There's been a story all over the news in the last week about cock-ups with the payment system. Lots of peeps being charged twice (even for pre-payment) and lots not being charged at all. The advice was check your statements to make sure you don't get charged twice. (of course if you don't get charged at all you must telephone them and pay immediately to correct the terrible error)

Horrendous traffic jams at the Dartford crossing at the moment because they are re-configuring the road layout. Although the toll booths are not operating, the barrier still comes down between each vehicle which slows things up.

That sounds a similar situation to the current 'works' taking place on the M60 locally (whenever I drive through the 50mph zone I see very little going on but lots and lots of cones).
I wouldn't mind, but it's only a few years since they spent ages building a third lane.

In theory, 'improvements' are being made to our motorways but the length of time they seem to take makes me wonder why they bother when it doesn't take much longer afterwards before further 'improvements' need to be made, and in the meantime we suffer hold ups for years.

Got the van hire number plate and paid in advance, doesn't say anywhere on the receipt how long the Dartford crossing is valid for and not even on their website!

I think it was 12 months when I was using the crossing last year?

https://www.dartford-crossing-charge.service.gov.uk/PayforCrossing/PayforCrossing

For one off payments, any payment is valid for 12 months, whether its £2.50 or more, the system just deducts each crossing each time.

It is on the website, just worded a bit funny, its the first paragrath on the above page, where you initially pay

Theres also a bit called "check for paid crossings" where the next day you can check the system has taken the money, it doesnt seem to show up instantly, but when it does it will show the exact date and time and whether northbound or southbound, and your one of payment will be reduced.

For peace of mind its worth checking on line before midnight the next day, especialy if its a hire van as the Pcn will go to them and finally to you with an admin fine on top.
If it dont show at least you have time to take evasive action, though you have a receipt as proof of payment.

For future, if you think your gonna do more than about 3 return trips and can afford to leave in about £10 its worth opening a free account, you can add yours or other relatives vehicles permanently ( gatwick airport trips etc) or any vehicle really providing its done PRIOR to crossing, you get about a 1/3 off about 80p each way in a car or van

Hey - when your body, mind and life are falling down around your ears, there have to be some perks!

I, of course, have no objection to you having a few perks.

It just seems an uneconomical way of doing it (although I suppose computers do it relatively cheaply)(although the innumerable cameras must cost a fortune).
It's like free TV licences for the older pensioners; why not just increase their pension by £145 and let them spend it on whatever, if they don't want a telly?
Do they still get the 25p. extra in actual money?

Sponsored Links
Back