Data and telephone through single cat 5e cable

Exactly.

Saw an install recently with ports labelled D1 D2 D3 V1 V2 V3 etc. The voice ones being patched back to a separate patch panel, the patch panel actually being a "voice" one.

I gently commented to the guy installing that it was a poor design. And he said "we'll why do they make voice patch panels then?". Had to explain they are designed to present a PBXs extensions INTO the cabinet, and not used for the termination of flood wiring!

It bugs me, as these guys install these bodgy systems, and charge the customer a premium for it.

Sponsored Links
There's little (if any) benefit to using CW1308 (standard phone cable) other than perhaps a marginal cost saving (very marginal in most home situations where it would mean having two lots of left over cable). A Cat5e cable can be used for pretty much anything - such a another network cable should you go VoIP.
Agree, perhaps I should have used the term 'dedicated' rather than 'proper'.

I was really trying to get the point over that running two cables would always be better than trying to mix things. That might be a valid reason if the cable had already been installed and a second was not an option but in this case the first cable has yet to be installed!!

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back