Dead grass

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Went out to the garden today and noticed quite a lot of the grass was loose so I got my rake out and got rid of all the brown loose grass.

I put some top soil down on the bare patches and added some seeds but Im not sure what to do, the grass has generally been brown and never really looked that green and healthy, Im contemplating adding topsoil over the entire lawn and re seed it but how would i go about it?

Rotivate
Top Soil
Seed
?

thanks

Sponsored Links
Redoing a lawn from scratch at this time of year using seed is not that good an idea. I wouldn't add top soil either.

If you want to try and renovate your existing lawn, you could try adding top dressing now which is a mixture of sand and loam but this needs to be carefully brushed in so as not to swamp the grass. You could also just try an Autumn feed preparation which may freshen the lawn up through the Autumn and winter ready for more remidial work in the Spring. Spike the lawn too to help aeriation and drainage.

Alternatively, you could kill your grass, rotovate, remove debris and stones, rake to a fine tilth, and lay turf at this time of year. Otherwise wait until Spring if you are planning a new lawn from seed, and to do it properly, expect it to be a season long affair to establish the lawn properly. :)

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back