Debating first house buy, getting this dropped kerb widened?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hello all, new to the forum as not yet owned a property to do DIY on until soon hopefully!

We have a house we are looking to make an offer on with the only negative being the squashed driveway space as it's on the entrance to the close.

We'd like to be able to widen this dropped kerb so a second small car could park fully on the patio area without mounting the kerb which is what the previous occupants have clearly been doing. Could this be an issue getting permission for any obvious reason?

proposed_curb_drop.jpg

Thanks...

Sponsored Links
The title register states the following about the patio area:

With the object and intent of achieving uniformity of siting the design and external appearance upon the estate not at any time hereafter to erect or maintain or suffer to be erected or maintained on such of the property coloured green on the Plans annexed here to any building erection or structure whatsoever whether moveable or immovable or any gate gateposts wall fence hedge or other partition and such part of the Property shall at all times hereafter be left open and unbuilt
upon and laid out as a garden (predominantly as a lawn) and as a driveway and/or footpath for the said dwellinghouse and kept in a neat and tidy condition and free from rubbish

Sponsored Links
Well your local council, or approved contractor, will have to drop the kerb for you, so just apply and see what happens. Looks a bit close to the junction to me.

Given that the patio is already there, you're not going to be making any changes if you start parking on it.

If it were an issue in future just put grass grids down and then have a lawn you can park on :)

Err....

... such part of the Property shall at all times hereafter be ... laid out as a garden (predominantly as a lawn)...

You're the master of selective quoting indeed. How do you even know the selection you quoted pertains to the bit of land in question? Or did you take the trouble to download the original planning approval so ou could see the referenced green shaded area and ensure that it does indeed cover the front part of the house?

Could this be an issue getting permission for any obvious reason?

You'd really have to ask the council. If the entire decision on whether to purchase this house rests on whether you can get a dropped kerb you could either make it a condition of the offer on the house, or apply for it yourself (pay the fee - it's hundreds of pounds in the face of a house transaction worth tens or hundreds of thousands - i.e. a drop in the ocean)..
..if they say no, then you found out for the bargain price of a few hundred quid, that you didn't need to spend a huge wad of cash on a house that wasn't perfect for you.

If, on the other hand, you love the house and this would just be the icing on the cake, make two offers, a lower one that you' be happy to buy the house for and a higher one if it gets a dropped kerb, the idea being the owners might well go and do the admin and arguing for you if your higher offer is sufficient carrot

You're the master of selective quoting indeed. How do you even know the selection you quoted pertains to the bit of land in question?
Because the OP posted it, so it has to apply to the bit of land we can see between the house and the road.

Otherwise why post it?

Could this be an issue getting permission for any obvious reason?

You'd really have to ask the council. If the entire decision on whether to purchase this house rests on whether you can get a dropped kerb you could either make it a condition of the offer on the house, or apply for it yourself (pay the fee - it's hundreds of pounds in the face of a house transaction worth tens or hundreds of thousands - i.e. a drop in the ocean)..
..if they say no, then you found out for the bargain price of a few hundred quid, that you didn't need to spend a huge wad of cash on a house that wasn't perfect for you.

If, on the other hand, you love the house and this would just be the icing on the cake, make two offers, a lower one that you' be happy to buy the house for and a higher one if it gets a dropped kerb, the idea being the owners might well go and do the admin and arguing for you if your higher offer is sufficient carrot

That's really good advice, thank you. Didn't know about conditional offers!

And yes I have studies the plan and title doc and that text does apply to the patio area.

Have a read of your local Authority's highways guide it will tell you where driveways are permitted and where they are not. I'd be amazed if it got permission. Personally I'd just lob a few blobs of mortar on the road to make driving up the kerb a little easier. they can soon be removed if the LA kick off.

As mentioned it depends on current highways policy's and the type of road, precedents are rarely worth anything. The only way you will know is by applying and/or looking in your LA's highways guide.

Nobody on here can predict the outcome. Make a decision as to whether you want the house or not, with the parking as it exists now.

My council only allow dropped kerbs if there is a 4.5m depth on the drive, because they allowed many before where cars now obstruct the pavement when parked.

In your after pic you seem to have paved over a bit of the footpath? That won't be allowed. And if that is the footpath then anything other than the smart car won't fit without obstructing the footpath, which it is possible to be fined for.

Nb I guess you don't want to or can't make use of the garage

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back