Decking configuration - attach decking boards to noggins?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I'm still working on the layout of a proposed decking scheme. The concrete surface below is uneven so bricks and mortar will be used to provide level points on which C16-grade 145mm x 45mm joists will rest.

I have designed a configuration that should require the minimum number of cuts but I am uncertain whether this is structurally sound. I intend to attach the decking boards to noggins (red), rather than to the joists (green). Since they're both going to cut from the same timber, the only difference is that the joists (green) are continuous while the noggins (red) are shorter and are attached to the joists). As you can see from the designs, there is nary a noggin that doesn't rest on a brick. I could lay the boards diagonally across the frame but that would require many more cuts (and be difficult to model in my computer program).

The configuration, seen from below:

The configuration, seen from above, sans decking boards:

The configuration, seen from above, with decking boards:

Sponsored Links
Hi,

I have had a look at your plans and if im correct your running the deck boards across the nogs (red) if this is the case you will need more nogs as you will be spanning 1.03mtr this is too much and will bounce/break so add another nog to make it 501.5mm spacing or turn your decking so spanning the main joists 500mm centres this may also have another benefit of making it easier to sweep off ( i guess white and grey areas are retaining walls and house wall or fence).

hope this is of help.

why are you running the joists parralell to teh boards, they should be perpendicular

Sponsored Links
Okay, well, here it is again with the decking boards rotated. I might change the design again just to include balustrades which may help grandmama to climb and alight the deck but otherwise, I'm pleased with the configuration.

With decking boards:

Without decking boards:

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back