Decking - Fixing Ledger Board

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,

I know similar questions have been asked before but I just need to be sure I am doing the right thing...

I'm building a low level deck and intending to fix a 2.9m ledger board (50mm x 150mm) to engineering brick on a modern property.

I've got some M10 Fischer wallbolts and was intending to install 2 bolts every 650mm or so along the board.

My concern is that with a 16mm hole required for the shield, whether these wall bolts will cause the bricks to burst. Also, the shields are only 60mm in length (the bolts are 120mm) and if the bricks are perforated whether the wallbolts will be secure enough.

Finally, in the decking books, it always shows the bolts recessed into the ledger board by using a flat wood bit. Is this necessary or is it more for aesthetic reasons?

Any advice would be very much appreciated.

Many thanks,

Damian
[/url]

Sponsored Links
Are they expanding bolts or the hammer in type? Going into the mortar joint between 2 bricks might be an option.
I wouldn't worry about drilling out the timber if it won't be seen, it will be stronger if you don't.

Once the decking is installed then it will hold the 6x2 tight to the wall anyway, assuming you are using joist hangers and have secure support posts into the ground. Then the only force on the bolts will be downwards.

Hi,

Thanks for the reply.

Yes - the Fischer wallbolts are the expanding type, very similar to Rawlbolts.

Thanks,

Damian

Sponsored Links
will be fine. even if you didnt tighten them it will do the job (not suggesting you dont)

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back