Decking frame - Posts onto concrete slabs ok?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I am building a deck in my back garden. The ground is fairly level (now after getting rid of some soil) and is very compacted.

Would it be OK to dig in the outside legs into the ground (to avoid the deck moving) and then for the rest, put the membrane down, put concrete slabs down below where each post is going to go and then put the posts onto the concrete slabs?

This would save a lot of time, keep most of the posts off the ground to reduce the chance of rotting yet still keep any movement to a minimum.

Sponsored Links
Hi,
My dad has done this with a huge deck and it's how i'm about to do mine.

He compacted soil, compacted sand ontop of membrane and then set slabs into the ground in concrete. He then concreted a brick to the top of it and the internal points of the decking rest on those.

Some big holes around the perimeter, but it floats in the middle.

He also put a piece of plastic over the brick so it drooped down either side - to stop water pooling by the wood. And he painted the contact points with bitumen.

That's what' i'm about to do - but i'm not going to sink any holes. I have a very solid base and my idea is to float the whole thing.

Not clear what the compacted sand achieved, mrT.

What the OP suggested is fine. Dont over-engineer it (ie engineer it enuff to stop it bouncing)

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back