Decking Issues - rusting joist hangers and damp joists

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,

I've almost completed my decking frame but noticed a couple of potential issues which I want to address if possible before putting the deck boards on.

1. Joist hangers. I lifted a couple of joists out of their hangers today and noticed a fair bit of rust on the bottom sections which provide most of the support. The hangers are galvanised. I just started reading about modern pressure treated wood having chemicals in it which can prematurely rust galvanised hangers. Most of joists are nailed into them now and would be a nightmare to replace. Is there anyway to address this? Would sticking a couple of 80mm Galvanised nails through from the perimeter of the frame into the joist end offer sufficient support if the hanger fails?

2. Damp joist bottoms. The section of the frame which is closest to the retaining wall (including the ledger board) has ground underneath it which gets very water logged and is much closer to the ground than the side further away from the wall. After a rain fall I can see the the bottom 2 inches of the joists there are damp almost along the entire length. Is this going to be an issue for pressure treated joists and can I do anything about it? I am not sure on the exact rating of the joists but I am presuming that they are not 'ground contact' rated. I was thinking about wrapping the bottoms in plastic but maybe this will just cause condensation and be even worse?

Sponsored Links

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back